Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made 170.00 for our church bazaar; unfortunately the eReader sweaters didn't sell ; most of the people didn't know what a eReader was....

Attachments

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
You did really well! maybe if you'd said "Kindle Coats" the ereader sweaters would have sold! It's amazing what's in a name. Years ago my friend and I made and sold cakes at a charity fayre. She made about ten ginger cakes, labelled them as "Home-made ginger cake- £1 each". Didn't sell one, so she changed the wording to "Home-made Ginger Parkin - £1.50" and sold out in 10 minutes!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't have a pattern; I just used left over wool and adjusted the number of stitches ; for the most part it is just 48 stitches with a cable up the front

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Did you display any of the reader sweaters with a reader in it? People might not be able to imagine what it is...
You could try silly names like "kindle cover" "nook nanny" "pad pocket" etcetera ... It's true that names matter!
I love the covers-- really nicely done!

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Elsie Shufflebottom said:
You did really well! maybe if you'd said "Kindle Coats" the ereader sweaters would have sold! It's amazing what's in a name. Years ago my friend and I made and sold cakes at a charity fayre. She made about ten ginger cakes, labelled them as "Home-made ginger cake- £1 each". Didn't sell one, so she changed the wording to "Home-made Ginger Parkin - £1.50" and sold out in 10 minutes!
You are right about the name I think.
Parkin - long time since I had any of that. Just made me homesick. We used to eat that on Nov5 - Guy Fawkes night. Sometimes made with golden syrup and sometimes with treacle. Now I have to go look for a recipe!!!!...:)
Then I have to use my blender to grind my oats...only found that once before in the stores here so I do my own. :(

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Carly said:
What is a "parkin?"
Here is a recipe.
http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/8672/parkin.aspx

the oatmeal is ground so that it is mealy rather than whole oats.

My favourite is made with treacle - (molasses) but you can use golden syrup too.
Not sure what syrup is available in the US but here in Canada we have Rogers Golden syrup. You could use corn syrup but it would not be as sweet - maybe that is a good thing.. .:)

Google 'parkin recipes' and you will find lots.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
KiltieLass said:
What did you sell the Sashay Scarves for? I am doing a craft fayre soon, and wondering. Thanks!
I was at a fair yesterday and there were two places selling them. One sold them for $16 and the other $20. They were going fast from both places and ladies were wearing them as soon as they bought them.
I have seen them for $25 and they sell for that too.

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
Did you already convert to US $ or was that in BPS? I think you undersold yourself. I am able to sell Frill Seeker Scarves (very similar, but they have glitter and are not as lacy), and I am thinking about $35.00 US. However, good haul for the event! Good job.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom