Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some advise about circular knitting needles, especially the "systems". Which ones do you like/dislike and potential problems with certain types. Or, would I be better off to buy needles only as I need them. My problem is that I live near a small town that has a Wal Mart as the only source of supplies, and those are limited. So, I cannot always find what I need and generally move on to something else. I'd like to quit missing opportunities to try new things. Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Registered
338 Posts
After an very experienced person suggested it, I finally bought one Addi Turbo circular, haven't made anything serious with it yet, but I will! Expensive compared to the ordinary ones, but worth every penny, it doesn't "fight" me. I will never buy another ordinary type circular needle. I know you can buy them mail-order from various sources, I bought mine from a yarn shop 20 miles from home.
I have a very old set of Boye interchangeables, packed away somewhere, which is fine if you need all the sizes, but at this point of life they may just go to eBay...

·
Registered
21,210 Posts
Hi,
I don't have the "system" set. But I have switched most of my straight needles for circular ones. And I am very partial to the wood type. They ahve such a different feel on your hands. The work doesn't slip off as easily. And the more you use them the better they feel. Has something to do with the oils in your hands.
Also the "string" between them is VERY important. SOme just refuse to unwind from the packaging shape. Even after the hot water bath, So check that out also. Open the pack and see if it will unwind.
But buying them one at a time is costly. Just shy of $10 each. I try to wait for a half off coupon, but they are few lately.
Hope this helps you with your decision.
Linda

·
Registered
37 Posts
I absolutely love my bamboo knitting needles, and after seriously debating about buying even one pair... I was concerned about the higher cost.. I now own several sizes in various lengths... I would never go back to regular needles! The bamboo needles are quieter, lighter, easier to hold, I can knit longer, pack up and travel more easily... and my work stays on my needles. I searched several prospective places to buy them, and found many sizes on sale at overstock.com. Shipping & handling is always only $2.95 so if you buy a couple of sizes.. it is always cheaper than just one in any retail store. Oh, brand name they carry is clover. Larger sizes are carried on other sites, just search.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
I have two sets right now the Boye Interchangeable set and Denise, but I want to pick up the Knitpicks Harmony woods set as I prefer wood. I also have the small size set of Hiya Hiya's. That set has smaller sizes and is great for sock knitting.

Someone suggested giving the cables a hot water bath. Do not do this! Heat degrades man made materials and in time will cause the cable to become weak and brittle, not to mention, severely weaken the "join". Once you have enough "weight" on the cable it will straighten out.

Since you don't have a local yarn shop, you will probably have to order a set on line. Speak to as many knitters here as possible for recommendations.

They Boye and Knitpicks sets use a "screw in" connection that must be correctly tightened using a small tool that is provided. Some people complain that the tips come unscrewed, I have never had this problem. The Denise uses a "click" in connection. A few people have complained that they have had problems with the tips coming apart from the cable...but very few people have said this and it may be caused by either a defect or the way the knitter holds/uses the tips/cable.

The joy of interchangeable circular sets is that you will have most every size that you will need. In the long run it is cheaper to buy one of these sets than individual needles in varying lengths.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I find that knitting needles is a personal pref. Some like wood, some like metal and some like the new plastics that are out. Knit picks has a "try me package" with one of each type on line. Once you are sure... Then buy a set. Believe it or not I have over a hundred circulars and still switch around depending on my mood and the project, however I usually return to me square kollage neeles or addi everytime. Good luck! SasZKnitter

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I have some addi turbos, but the ones I knit with the most are the Knit Picks ones. Have the Harmony (woods) and nickle ones. They have great points for doing lace work, and the cables do not kink. Plus Knit Picks has great service. One of my wooden needles had a "splinter" in it and kept catching my yarn. I called Knit Picks and they sent out a replacement set at no charge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Knit Picks makes a good knitting needle with two cables for about $5 and the points for about $9 each or there is a set for about $80. The needle can be in metal, wood, or acrylic, but the cable is always purple. Knit Picks has a website.

To prevent the needles from coming unscrewed as you knit, be sure to use the little wire "lock" by pushing the wire through the hole in the part that screws onto the cable. Turn the needle to lock it. Save that small piece of wire with the loop on the end of it because that is the tool for locking and unlocking the needles.

I prefer the Addi turbo needles which are made in Germany.
I have two in size 7 circulars with 16-inch and 24-inch lengths.
The stitches seem to glide on Addi turbo needles. I did not have good vibes with Clover brand circulars.

·
Registered
9,165 Posts
dancemom80 said:
I would like some advise about circular knitting needles, especially the "systems". Which ones do you like/dislike and potential problems with certain types. Or, would I be better off to buy needles only as I need them. My problem is that I live near a small town that has a Wal Mart as the only source of supplies, and those are limited. So, I cannot always find what I need and generally move on to something else. I'd like to quit missing opportunities to try new things. Thanks for any help you can give.
Good Morning,

As many knitters will attest...Wal-Mart is not the place to purchase your needles. Systems are all well and good unless you are working on umpteen projects that use the same size. Use the Internet to purchase your needles unless you can locate a good knitting store in your area. Addi needles, though expensive have excellent cables that untangle well (wear the cable around your neck and under your clothing to straighten them out), KA bamboo needles are very good, better than Clovers and Boye, though hard to find. I use Addi Natura bamboo, Addi Turbos and KA bamboo exclusively. I switched from Clovers and Boye and even got my 90 year old mother to try Addi Turbos. She loved how fast she could knit.

Happy knitting.

:-D :-D

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just started knitting again and I use the KA circular needles that have a swivel connection that connect the needle and cable. It works for me...and for some reason I prefer the wooden needle. That's just me! I ordered a set of the KA interchangeable wooden needles yesterday (the set comes with so many tips and cords to interchange)...and hubby doesn't know :0( I might be in trouble!

·
Registered
20,519 Posts
I feel sorry for you. Walmart has the WORST needle & yarn selection I have ever seen. They used to have almost everything but, in recent years have cut way back on what they carry. YUK. Try going on line to Michaels, Joanne's & AC Moore & order from them. Addis', Clover, Susan Bates are way better than what WalMart carries but, I try not to buy Bates whenever possible. Addis & Clover are well worth the $$. KnitPicks is also a wonderful site to buy from.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Becca I agree with you...the KA bamboo are much better than the Clover or the Boyes! I started with wooden needles and I guess they grew on me. The Addi's sure are pretty looking and expensive. I tried them but they seem too slippery for me. But I guess it is what you get use to. Afraid to try the Addi again...I sure would hate to get use to them and like them. Especially since I ordered the set of KA wooden interchangeable ones yesterday :oops:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sorlena, I seen the Harmony interchangeable on the internet and they did look pretty! I know someone that is considering them. I guess they are a cross between the wooden and the metal maybe? I was wondering if the multicolor needle would be hard on the eye when knitting with the yarn...it may not even be a consideration...but for some reason I thought about that.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
I have mentioned that I have the Boye set and the Denise in addition to a small Hiya Hiya set. Today I ordered the Harmony Woods set from Knitpicks. I have a couple of their single circulars, some dpn's too and love them...just what I needed ANOTHER set of interchangeables!

·
Registered
54 Posts
courier770....the Harmony circulars look very tempting. Might try those after I receive the KA interchangeable set that I just ordered. Sometimes you need two of the same size circular needles to knit for instance a Hat.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
The addi turbos and the knitpick nickel are great for "rough" yarns like wool, acrylic and mohair. For "slick" yarns like silk, cotton, or rayon the wood and bamboo are much better as they "grip" the yarn.

·
Registered
135 Posts
hi there, I was at hobby lobby yesterday and seen many different circular needles. If you go to their website you can order anything you want from there. The best part is...they have a 40% off coupon there for any one item. Check it out. I just bought a row counter for my ultimate sweater machine (Normally 35.99) and used the coupon. Loved getting the discount. I printed 2 of them out and my hubby used one to get a discount on a magnifier headband thing so he can work on his model railroading stuff. You can also use the coupon for online ordering.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom