Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
You can try hot water soak, but my experience is; buy more expensive needles like addi...they have a very flexile cable that works well. I have knit for a lifetime, and believe me, your tools make or break a project. Invest in addi ( $15-17) per needle, and they will serve you well for a lifetime.
Interchangeable sets of addi are available ( about $165??); and they are good as well as an investment in your craft.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Whatever you do...do not put them in hot or boiling water! I know that many people think this is a good idea, it is not. Heat degrades man made materials and can cause the cable or joins to deteriorate and in time break.

There is no reason to "straighten" the cord. When you have enough weight (knitting) on the cord is will uncurl. Curling will not affect your knitting, since you only knit with the tips and the cord merely "holds" the stitches not yet being worked.

I use a leather covered box (sort of like a photo box) to keep my circulars in and I have purchased cable markers (with the size marked on them) to slip onto the cable.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do have adi needles and other expensive needles. The older they get the more brittle they become because they're made of plastic. Not about to go out and buy new needles. Unless the whole plastice string is used they curl.
Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I wonder if we could store our circulars in a hanging holder and maybe put a light weight on the other end,just a thought. I can't think of why we have to curl them up to store them. I don't think I have ever seen anything like that but maybe I could make a hanging holder.

·
Registered
190 Posts
You could easily make one by sewing and using a hanger. Make a long rectangle of dbl thick canvas material, sew together all around sides. Then make small tubes to thread them thru, marking size with perm marker and let them hang down on a hook on the wall or in the closet. This would work great using a slack hanger that comes apart at the top. Make sense? I could draw a pic and post if you need me to... Just let me know. SasZKnitter

·
Registered
190 Posts
One more thing... Want extra flexible circulars? Try the new square ones by Kollage Yarns. Personally I think they are awesome and great for those with hand problems. It is also easier to get a regular tension with them. They recommend though that you go up one size to get gauge most times! Try them... I think you might like them! SasZKnitter

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
What does it matter if the cable curls? You only knit with the tips, the cable just holds the stitches not being knit until you get to them.

Some years ago my ex's mother came to visit and wanted to make one of those potato chip scarves. I gave her a circular needle and some yarn. When I came home from work she complained that she had boiled the needle several times and it wouldn't "uncurl". I informed her that this was not to be done as it weakens the cable and the joins..she pooh pooh'd me until the join broke the next day and she lost all of her work. She then bought me a replacement needle, which I handed back to her and said "wrong size, and this is a $6.00 needle the one you destroyed was $15.00.". She did eventually replace my needle but I'll never forget the look on her face as she had to frog that entire scarf!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Another reason knitters have a problem with circulars is they use a bigger size then necessary. This was me when I started. I bought the longest cord possible thinking it could be used for more things... Which is true BUT the extra cord stays coiled and gets in the way driving me crazy! So then I learned it pays to get correct length and this became almost a non-issue! SasZKnitter

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Sas, you are correct..however. I'm working on a project that involves massive increasing. A cap that is knit from the neck down...so you need to have: interchangeables, several circulars or be willing to put up with a little curling of the cable. I've never found the curling a problem but I'm shocked that so many people believe that using hot or boiling water will solve the problem!

·
Registered
9,165 Posts
lady lulu said:
I've seen some tips on organizing needles but I find it difficult to knit with circular needles cuz they curl up on the plastic string. Any tips on how to straighten them out?
Thanks
Yes, wear the cable around your neck and under your clothing. Your body heat will untangle the cable. The better the quality of needle the better the cable. Try using Addi Turbo and/or Addi Natura (metal and bamboo). Though somewhat expensive they are better than those sold at many craft stores and you will be happier with the results.

Happy knitting. :lol:

·
Registered
659 Posts
One way to uncurl your circular needles is to hang an unused knitted scarf over the bottom of a hanger and loop the needle points thru both sides of the scarf. Leave some space between the points and gravity takes care of the unwanted curling. It can hang in your closet,out of direct light. Another idea is to hang a needle gauge on the hanger and then there is no guessing the size of the needle. Works for me!! And just think you have recycled a knitted item.

·
Registered
659 Posts
tootsie001 said:
One way to uncurl your circular needles is to hang an unused knitted scarf over the bottom of a hanger and loop the needle points thru both sides of the scarf. Leave some space between the points and gravity takes care of the unwanted curling. It can hang in your closet,out of direct light. Another idea is to hang a needle gauge on the hanger and then there is no guessing the size of the needle. Works for me!! And just think you have recycled a knitted item.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have done a little of all of the above. LOL Once I have my circulars straightened, I don't curl them back up. I have a storage box, similar but larger than a photo box that I keep mine in. They are a bit curled, but the ends are side by side. If I am using more than one size, I have hung them on the fireplace tools holder. In fact, they hang there a lot. I am thinking of knitting me a rectangle circular needle holder and adding the sizes on them. I do have a couple of sizers that I use to make sure I have the correct size now.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Heat of any kind will speed deterioration. I still don't understand all of this furor over the cable curling. You don't knit with the cable. I keep all of my single, circular needles in a leather box, curled and in the original packaging..never had a problem knitting with them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just started knitting again and I use the KA circular needles that have a swivel connection that connect the needle and cable. It works for me...and for some reason I prefer the wooden needle. That's just me!

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Some cables are so "springy" that they distort stitches by pulling on the yarn. They are awkward and ungainly. For these needles, I've found that longer is better rather than shorter. The best solution was replacing them with needles that have flexible cables. The difference is amazing. No pulling and no distortion. I'll never again buy Clover bamboo needles because their cables are so springy.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom