Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
(((((((( Wal-mart sells a 'knit check' tool with sizing holes in it = $2.00 + and a Susan Bates brand, I believe.
*** One should have one of these as it will measure a square sample of your test swatch and is a linear measure, also.
*** Clover sells a newer one that will size up to 19. I believe that the knit check stops at 13 or 15.
***** If you have just a few needles and don't want to purchase a knit check, send me a circle measurement of your needle/s and I can size them for you. Just lay a piece of yarn around it and put fingers at the other end - measure. This is easier than doing a flat measurement.

****** For unmarked needles or hooks, I have hubby use his moto tool with a specific bur to engrave the size permanently as I don't like resizing + it's good for the next owner to know without finding a needle sizer - knit check. Engrave off the needle/hook shank, of course.

I collect antiques in this item, too + have a 'knit check' or 20 (LOL!) in most of my stash bags.

Buy more than one if you get into Wal-mart - keep one for mobile work and one at your crafting area.

If you're immobile, they can be found online, too such as on Ebay:

Keyword search: knit gauge or knitting gauge. Surf around, too using the same words. I rather like the new Clover one I received the other day - BUT: It's plastic where the knit check is aluminum.

Donna Rae )))))))))

lin said:
I am new to knitting. How do you know what size your circular needles are once you throw away the package. Are they color coded.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
(((((((( My pleasure; You're welcome!

lin said:
Thank you sooo much for this helpful information. I will be going to WalMart today to purchase the knit check tool.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom