Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
5,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a gas oven, it is an upright, it has a coating on the inside, probably no stick, but believe me things stick to it. what is the best, easiest and safest way to clean it.

Di

· Registered
540 Posts
Not sure if it works...but I saw a video wear they boiled some orange pearls and then mixed the water with while vinegar. Put in spray bottle. Then sprinkled the dirty surface with baking soda and then sprayed with the vinegar mixture. Let set and it wiped clean. I use baking soda and vinegar in my drains all the time. Gets really foamy. Good luck

· Registered
12,049 Posts
I use the steam mop for cleaning my oven. Not sure it's the best way, but it's certainly the fastest. Before that I use to use some special oven-cleaning products... but it was a pain in the... to wash / mop the product afterwards.

· Registered
1,904 Posts
Don't know if this is available where you live, but it is absolutely the easiest, most efficient and quickest oven cleaner I've ever used - no unpleasant smell and almost no effort. Brush it on, leave it to work, then wipe it off. Can't recommend it highly enough. Lakeland do deliver worldwide, but the cost is steep - but then they have so many lovely and useful things that I would probably be able to make it worthwhile, and their customer service is second to none.

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/4972/Oven-Mate-Cleaning-Gel-500ml%2C-Brush-%26-Gloves-Cleaning-Kit

· Registered
5,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bagibird said:
Don't know if this is available where you live, but it is absolutely the easiest, most efficient and quickest oven cleaner I've ever used - no unpleasant smell and almost no effort. Brush it on, leave it to work, then wipe it off. Can't recommend it highly enough. Lakeland do deliver worldwide, but the cost is steep - but then they have so many lovely and useful things that I would probably be able to make it worthwhile, and their customer service is second to none.

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/4972/Oven-Mate-Cleaning-Gel-500ml%2C-Brush-%26-Gloves-Cleaning-Kit
sounds wonderful, but I cant find it in Australia

Di

· Registered
1,711 Posts
My first hub having been in the military and we lived overseas we had to clear quarters and they tested everything with a white glove and we had gas ovens, this is how to past the test. Make sure pilot light is turned off. Spray inside of of oven with oven cleaner, even inside of door, take garbage bags and lay up against the oven cleaner pressing it on to the oven cleaner and on the door too, close door let sit overnight next morning pull bags out, use paper towel or cloths and wash out the inside. To clean the oven racks, put in a plastic bag spray with oven cleaner and twist shut tight and let lay overnight and wash in the morning. Oven always looks like new, it's a no fail, always passed the white glove test. Oh yes this also is great for non-selfcleaning electric ovens.too

· Registered
1,007 Posts
This is going to sound very lazy, but last year I paid a professional oven cleaner to do the job for me. First time ever. He took the removable parts out to a tank in the back of his van to soak (no nasty smells in the house) and then used low odour industrial products to do the carcass. Only took him an hour. Well worth the cost (£45). I am not a messy cook in that I use roasting bags for all my roast meat and use crock pots/slow cookers for a lot of meals. Neither am I much of a baker on the basis that if you make it you have to eat it and I don't need any more encouragement or temptation! I promised myself I would have it done this way every year and now getting to that time again. In the interim I wipe it out now and then and clean up any spills as I go along. Before this change to paying someone to do it I did use Oven Mate as mentioned above, but I really would prefer to be doing something more interesting than cleaning ovens! ????

· Registered
2,162 Posts
Cleaning a gas oven

You can use this people-friendly oven cleaner to make the inside of your gas oven sparkle.

•2 teaspoons borax or baking soda

•2 tablespoons dishwashing liquid

•11⁄4 cups ammonia

•11⁄2 cups hot water

Mix the ingredients, apply generously to spills, and let soak for 30 minutes or as long as overnight. Loosen tough spills with a nylon scrubber and then wipe up with a damp sponge.

The bottom of a gas oven requires the most cleaning. You can remove the bottom panel simply by lifting it out or by removing a couple of screws that hold it in place.

With the oven bottom out, inspect and clean the gas burner. To determine how the burner is working, turn it on with the bottom panel off. If the flame isn't continuous along both sides of the burner, some of its holes are clogged. Turn off the oven control and insert a wire — such as a coat hanger — into the clogged holes.

After the gas burner is clean, check to make sure that it's burning efficiently — a steady blue 1-inch cone, with an inner cone of about 1/2 inch. The air shutter, which you can adjust, controls the air mixture and, in turn, the color of the flame. Consult your owner's manual for information about how to adjust the burner flame in your gas oven.

· Registered
2,477 Posts
I have self cleaning sides on my electric oven...must admit they don't tend to get very dirty, but once a month I turn the heat up full for about 10 mins that seems to clear it....and to clean the racks and the bottom I use good old Brillo pad..I do try and do it once a month as then it only takes 10-15 minutes

· Registered
3,034 Posts
Dumb question - don't you have a "self-cleaning oven". Guess not, otherwise you would not be going thru all of that. They have a project for ovens in a spray can, I wish they still had a "brush on". I use that for my oven racks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom