Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Joined
10,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normally I don't answer my landline if it says "number withheld" but I did as I thought it was from my medical team to tell me when they are due today.

It was from " The Department if Industrial Injuries". I asked what that was, but she just launched into a spiel about compensation for my industrial accident. I said I'd never worked in industry. She asked if anyone else in the household had,so I said the dog had terrible emphysema from his time in the coal pits. She giggled fit to bust. Then I said I was on TPS so actually she shouldn't be calling me.

Cold-calling is a horrible job. I hope it made her day :-D
 

Registered
Joined
1,572 Posts
that was good. If ever I answer my phone I keep them on the line asking all these questions that have been suggested we ask in "money matters" columns. As I am ex-directory I always ask how they got my number, I never disclose it to anyone other than family, the number of cold callers who name my local council is amazing. Cold callers might have a difficult job, but they should realise that people will only take out/buy what they need, and most of us would prefer to find it ourselves than have someone fill us with rubbish and then find we've got a bad deal.
 

Registered
Joined
5,000 Posts
That's a nice way to handle it. We get irritated by unsolicited calls, but the people calling us are just people working at a job. You probably made up for a lot of bad phone experiences she had that day.
Lostie said:
Normally I don't answer my landline if it says "number withheld" but I did as I thought it was from my medical team to tell me when they are due today.

It was from " The Department if Industrial Injuries". I asked what that was, but she just launched into a spiel about compensation for my industrial accident. I said I'd never worked in industry. She asked if anyone else in the household had,so I said the dog had terrible emphysema from his time in the coal pits. She giggled fit to bust. Then I said I was on TPS so actually she shouldn't be calling me.

Cold-calling is a horrible job. I hope it made her day :-D
 

Registered
Joined
963 Posts
Most of the cold callers are scammers. It is a very big problem because they are after details so they can either clear out your bank account or steal your identity. I usually hang up immediately without speaking or sometimes I just put the phone down and leave them talking. Don't feel sorry that they are just doing a job, and be polite to them. They are criminals like any other criminals trying to rob you.
 

Registered
Joined
1,752 Posts
Milocat said:
Most of the cold callers are scammers. It is a very big problem because they are after details so they can either clear out your bank account or steal your identity. I usually hang up immediately without speaking or sometimes I just put the phone down and leave them talking. Don't feel sorry that they are just doing a job, and be polite to them. They are criminals like any other criminals trying to rob you.
This is all too true! My mom got one on her cell phone the other day. Some guy (with a very heavy accent) was trying to get information from her because her brother was allegedly in a car accident (her brothers were fine).
Some of the callers are just playing pranks, although I find that rarer today than it used to be. I know someone who would call up random people & make all sorts of animal noises... mooing, etc. (Yes, as a pre-teen or teen & no, actually, it was a girl). One time while I was in college I was called by someone who sounded wicked hoarse & spoke very softly & I couldn't make out what he was saying (I'm hearing impaired, so phones are a bit of a challenge for me). Anyway, I asked if he was uncle ***, because at that time, that particular uncle, who is always trying whisper things like everything's a big secret, was grossly overweight & wheezed alot while talking. I thought maybe something had happened. Anyway, once the guy dropped the voice, I could hear that he was saying, "Are you interested in talking about sex?" I got a good laugh out of it, honestly.
 

Registered
Joined
3,380 Posts
Many years ago I was cleaning out the kitchen of our summer cottage for the season when I was completely startled by the the ringing of the wall phone over head (I was washing the floor at that moment). I answered and it was a young man's voice -- selling something, I guess. Anyway, my immediate reaction was, "We can't talk on this phone. It's been disconnected." He was very apologetic, "Oh, I'm so sorry, etc." Then he hung up.

The next day, I was telling my husdand about this strange call and he realized that he'd forgotten to have the service turned off as we usually do. We both had a good laugh. We then used that excuse just for fun and sometimes it worked!
 

Registered
Joined
5,000 Posts
Or else the young man just thought you were goofy or an Elder. And was too kind to point out to you, "Oh no, it isn't!"

Carol, an Elder now and goofy occasionally throughout
Elder Ellen said:
Many years ago I was cleaning out the kitchen of our summer cottage for the season when I was completely startled by the the ringing of the wall phone over head (I was washing the floor at that moment). I answered and it was a young man's voice -- selling something, I guess. Anyway, my immediate reaction was, "We can't talk on this phone. It's been disconnected." He was very apologetic, "Oh, I'm so sorry, etc." Then he hung up.

The next day, I was telling my husdand about this strange call and he realized that he'd forgotten to have the service turned off as we usually do. We both had a good laugh. We then used that excuse just for fun and sometimes it worked!
 

Registered
Joined
1,404 Posts
I have 2 that call regularly & are always using different numbers. Unfortunately we do have several toll-free numbers call that are legitimate so it's not practical to ignore the calls.

#1 and it is a full-fledged scam. I get at least 4 calls every month from these guys making it sound like they are partners of Microsoft & they have received information that my computer is going to self-destruct unless I let them in to fix it. This has been going on for a couple of years & is really a pain. I want to do the voice mail thing but dh won't let me.

#2 is a kazillion different companies offering "free" vacations which are anything but free. You still have to get your own airfare, food, time, not to mention you can find better deals yourself without having to sit through yet another timeshare presentation. We used to have a timeshare so I guess we are on all their lists. Just got off the phone with another sales person who couldn't understand when I told her I couldn't afford her free offer.
 

Registered
Joined
1,404 Posts
Oh I forgot one of the best responses if you know it's a cold caller. Pick up the phone & whisper loudly, "It's done, but there's blood all over!" and then hang up.
 

Registered
Joined
12,312 Posts
Alta Grama said:
Oh I forgot one of the best responses if you know it's a cold caller. Pick up the phone & whisper loudly, "It's done, but there's blood all over!" and then hang up.
Now this one is one I would use. Usually the first question they ask after establishing that I am the "lady" of the house and I say "Does that matter I mean because I am in the middle of gender change and I am really confused right now about how to answer your question about that, what do you think I should say, I mean I don't really know how to answer that question when someone calls and asks me ...........................Blah, Blah, blah, blah" until they just hang up the phone. It does take a lot of time so if I am in a hurry or not in the mood to fool with them or don't feel well that day, I just blow a whistle in their ear.
 

Registered
Joined
2,388 Posts
I answer my phone in Chinese because it's never any one who knows me. my phone is only ever legitimately used to call the police or the ambulance.
 

Registered
Joined
8,788 Posts
DonnieK said:
Now this one is one I would use. Usually the first question they ask after establishing that I am the "lady" of the house and I say "Does that matter I mean because I am in the middle of gender change and I am really confused right now about how to answer your question about that, what do you think I should say, I mean I don't really know how to answer that question when someone calls and asks me ...........................Blah, Blah, blah, blah" until they just hang up the phone. It does take a lot of time so if I am in a hurry or not in the mood to fool with them or don't feel well that day, I just blow a whistle in their ear.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
 

Registered
Joined
5,000 Posts
kmckinstry77 said:
Heh. These posts are hilarious... "We can't talk because this phone has been disconnected", "It's done, but there's blood all over!", "I'm in the middle of a gender change, blah, blah, blah"... Those are awesome! :)
It's been a long time since I've been asked the Lady Of The House question, but of course an answer to that is, "Oh, I hope not!"
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom