Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I have been knitting for many years, I have not been able to get a nice finish when changing colors to do strips. The new color is always off at least 1 stitch at the beginning of a new round. So all you excellent KP knitters, can you tell me how to get the color change to line up correctly? Any and all help will be appreciated. I hope you will understand what I am talking about. Thanks heaps. Norita

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
norita willadsen said:
Although I have been knitting for many years, I have not been able to get a nice finish when changing colors to do strips. The new color is always off at least 1 stitch at the beginning of a new round. So all you excellent KP knitters, can you tell me how to get the color change to line up correctly? Any and all help will be appreciated. I hope you will understand what I am talking about. Thanks heaps. Norita
You want a jogless join for the new color. Knitting in the round is really a spiral, so it's one row off.

When you are ready for a new color:
--Start knitting with the new color at the beginning of the round.
--Next round, slip the first stitch of the new color.
--Continue knitting as usual.

Wa-laa, a jogless color join.

·
Registered
575 Posts
in youtube they have an excellent video on how to do that. i can't give you the link, don't have time to look it up, but seen it the other night. seems like you slip the stitch, but i can't remember, but that gal did an great job, so you could really see what she was doing...sorry i can't get the link for you...

·
Registered
29 Posts
The slip stitch method is quick and easy but sometimes causes a slight pull in the fabric. I actually prefer this method for jobless stripes:
You can try both to see which looks better for the project you are working on.

·
Registered
22,470 Posts
There are basically 2 ways to do jogless knits that you can look up.

Also there is the question of carrying the yarns of the different colors up the item. A few months ago there was a whole discussion here on KP about working stripes and how to neatly carry the yarns up stripes. Knitca, has a website and posted an article in her Sept newsletter on moving the threads up the back. For me that is the messy part of this process. You can do a search for her name on KP and you will get the link to her Sept article. She has a couple of photos she included so you can see how these 2 techniques look.

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
cen63846 said:
What a clever idea, I'm going to try it today. Thank you Colorado Knits. Can I know your name and how you found this tip out?

Diana
Hi Diana,

I read that tip somewhere, but I don't remember where. I have quite a library of knitting books.

I have used the other jogless method but more often I use the slip-stitch one. It's so easy.

Jackie

·
Registered
179 Posts
The slip stitch method is interesting I'll give it a try. I use this one and it works. At the end of the round I pick up the loop below my new color and then put it onto my left hand needle then knit this two loops together. It puts them right in line. It's more involved than just slipping but it works well. I saw it done by Eunny Yang on knitting daily tv show. I hope I spelled her name correctly as she is wonderful and I've learned so much by watching her show. Happy knitting.

·
Registered
54 Posts
[You want a jogless join for the new color. Knitting in the round is really a spiral, so it's one row off.

When you are ready for a new color:
--Start knitting with the new color at the beginning of the round.
--Next round, slip the first stitch of the new color.
--Continue knitting as usual.

Wa-laa, a jogless color join.[/quote]

Easiest directions I have come across. Thanx Nancy

·
Registered
575 Posts
i agree, i like enny.. but she is incredibly fast knitting...yeowzer. unreal. i looked for dust, but she is so fast she is long gone before it comes done into view..wow.
now i wish i could find a good one of someone doing that Toothbrush rug. only finding this guy and he does more fiddling around, instead of just getting with the prgm, driving me whacko. but i haven't found a better one yet. (now that is a change of subject if ever i saw one..:shock: )..
sockteacher said:
The slip stitch method is interesting I'll give it a try. I use this one and it works. At the end of the round I pick up the loop below my new color and then put it onto my left hand needle then knit this two loops together. It puts them right in line. It's more involved than just slipping but it works well. I saw it done by Eunny Yang on knitting daily tv show. I hope I spelled her name correctly as she is wonderful and I've learned so much by watching her show. Happy knitting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom