Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be doing some really fine crochet work and do not want to worry about changing colors and hiding ends. Dying is the solution but I have never done any and was wondering your thoughts on the matter. I do not want to worry about colors running and would like the color to be permanent. Could you help me?

· Registered
3,572 Posts
Well, a little bit, since it is cotton, a fiber reactive dye would be my choice. I personally only dye protein fibers. However if you look on dhrama trading company web site, they are a wonderful company. Great customer service, they actually can and will talk to you on the phone.

They have kits, I'm probably not being very helpful, but my friend uses the fiber reactive and has great results. Makes her living working tie dye and uses cotton exclusively. Dhrama fiber reactive is all is ever uses.

What is the project, love to hear about it

Jan

· Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you have to heat them to set it markers? The lady who made them is from Japan. She does beautiful work but I want to try my hand at the butterfly. Crocheting with colored thread is easy but on such a tiny flower color changes would be too much. I do use a cotton perle thread.

· Premium Member
56,000 Posts
mathwizard said:
Did you have to heat them to set it markers? The lady who made them is from Japan. She does beautiful work but I want to try my hand at the butterfly. Crocheting with colored thread is easy but on such a tiny flower color changes would be too much. I do use a cotton perle thread.
I didn't but it's hanging on the wall, not being used .

· Registered
4,194 Posts
I would use a variegated thread in shaded blues. If you could find one with small spots of white the hard part would be to position it so you could paint in the Sharpie yellow once finished.

If you copy the other colors, find a pink/purple blend and do the same. Handy Hands might be of help to you. Please let us know how you make out. Thanks

· Registered
15,759 Posts
mathwizard said:
I am making a pin with tiny crochet flowers. I want to use the pansy and have blue flowers. I saw this online and want to make my version of it for a friend who is crazy about butterflies.
That is a gorgeous butterfly. Do you have a link to the tutorial or pattern?

As others have posted, the special fabric dye pens would be worth trying & also the alcohol inks. There are many DIY YouTube videos for that technique. Would love to see pictures of your finished project.

· Registered
15,759 Posts
mathwizard said:
Here is the Japanese page

http://lunaheavenly8.jugem.jp/?eid=92
Thanks for the link. I've saved it. The picture of your butterfly has inspired me to try making one. I have a lot of fine crochet threads & also many variegated ones. I was thinking of making a flower pin; but using a pattern from my Irish crochet book. I've seen books on crocheted flowers at the bookstore & at Jo-Ann's. You could always get more ideas just by flipping through those books...no need to buy them. However, I did buy an Irish crochet book because the tutorial pictures were so clear & the instructions were very easy to follow. The book is 'The Go-To Book for Irish Crochet Motifs'. There are other books at this link to give you more ideas.

https://www.anniescatalog.com/list.html?q=Irish+crochet

Close up of a doily that shows flowers made with variegated thread. The roses & outer leaves look nice as is & you wouldn't really need to dye them.
https://www.anniescatalog.com/detail.html?prod_id=123630&cat_id=24

· Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you! I own those two books. The Japanese books I bought on eBay have the miniature patterns to incorporate into my project. Lunar Heavenly makes all kinds of beautiful pins, birds and so much more.

· Registered
15,759 Posts
mathwizard said:
Thank you! I own those two books. The Japanese books I bought on eBay have the miniature patterns to incorporate into my project. Lunar Heavenly makes all kinds of beautiful pins, birds and so much more.
Can't wait to see a picture of your finished piece. If you use the fabric pens, you could spray a fixative so the dye doesn't rub off. Are you going to stiffen it when you've finished it?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom