Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to do this? I use a red child's colouring pencil, which I dampen, and use the edge (not point) to colour in a rough circle for each cheek, and two small dots for the nose. I have heard that some folks use lipstick, but I am loath to try that in case I made a dreadful mess... :roll:

·
Registered
21,412 Posts
amudaus said:
i use blusher as you can start very pale and just brush a couple more times to get the colour you are looking for.
I have only recently stated knitting dolls and wondered what people used.
Great idea ~ I'll try the blusher :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
You canuse fabric paint. For soft tones(cheeks) put the paint on a paper plate, mix to color desired then brush it out thin on plate and use your finger or spnge brush to gently swipe or apply it..just test on a piece of muslin for presure to get the look you want.
use end of brush or tooth pick to applt eyes, brows,nose etc.
Nice thing is it will last.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Lipstick and blush both contain oils which eventually attract dirt, making the rosy cheeks look not so rosy.
Sandyr1946 said:
Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to do this? I use a red child's colouring pencil, which I dampen, and use the edge (not point) to colour in a rough circle for each cheek, and two small dots for the nose. I have heard that some folks use lipstick, but I am loath to try that in case I made a dreadful mess... :roll:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
cathie white said:
Lipstick and blush both contain oils which eventually attract dirt, making the rosy cheeks look not so rosy.
Sandyr1946 said:
also most make up has added scent. not a good thing for alergies and sensitives.

·
Registered
19,648 Posts
An oil pastel works well for me (easily controlable), then you iron it lightly through paper to set it so it doesn't wash out.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I have never knitted a doll, but made some out of fabric. There are fabric paints on the market that work real well. Not sure how it would be on a knitted surface. They are like markers. Try quilting stores or Joann's, etc.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hilary4 said:
An oil pastel works well for me (easily controlable), then you iron it lightly through paper to set it so it doesn't wash out.
I don't think I could do this, as the cheeks are coloured after the toy is made up and stuffed...can't see how I could iron a stuffed, round head... :roll:

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
You can use a Prismacolor art marker found in hobby stores. These come in a variety of colors. The nice thing besides the variety of colors, is that the marker has a fine tip on one end to do just one stitch and a wide tip on the other. I once took a needlepoint class from a national teacher who used them for all facial features on top of the needlepoint fiber stitches. I had heart failure when she told the class what to do, but after I tried it and learned how easy it was, I was hooked. You will need to do a test on a scrap piece of yarn to determine bleed and practice control as fibers will vary. A guage swatch would be perfect for practice. Remember to keep a piece of paper behind the stitches you are working on so as not to affect other areas.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom