Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at the top of my screen are all the sites I go to on a regular basis plus the File, Edit, View, Favs, Tools, Help. Somehow I've pushed the wrong button and it disappears and only comes back when I put my cursor on the top. When I go into my Hotmail account it makes it doubly hard to get out. Can someone please help me to fix it so those links are up at the top permanently. Thank you.

·
Registered
19,648 Posts
When you put your cursor over it and it reappears, right click on it and near the bottom of the drop-down that should appear, you can choose to Lock the Toolbars.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Not sure how to fix it without having a play. I went to the microsoft help area (I am running explorer 9 on windows 7 but you could go to a different section if you are running something different by typing explorer in the search bar and click search and then you can start from there)Click this link to get an example of the solution provided.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/windows7/show-hide-favorites-command-status-bars

·
Registered
289 Posts
Press the F11 key. If you're on a laptop you may need to press the "function" key before pressing the key designated as the F11 key. The "function" key is probably one of the keys on the lower left of your key pad. It may say function or it may say Fn.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Instructions for Win 7.
Right Click on the Start Button.
Go to Properties and select the "Taskbar" Tab at the top.
Remove the Check Mark from "Auto-hide the task bar".

XP is pretty much the same as above.
If these instructions don't work, go to help and support and search for auto-hide task bar.
-----------------------------------------------
This answer assumes that it is the Menu Start Bar and Taskbar that keeps disappearing until you mouse over it. If that isn't the case, we will need a screen shot showing what the screen looks like without the items you mention.

If you press "alt-prnt scr" (the "ALT" key and the "Prt Scr" buttons at the same time, Print Screen, the button is usually near the top right of the keyboard) the system makes a silent copy of the screen. You can then use the Paste key to paste that copy into an open file, say an e-mail or a blank file created from the MS Paint Program.

You can then send that file as an attachment to an e-mail or upload the file as a picture to this website.

I would not mind receiving a Private Message if you need more help.

P.S. You can also accidentally move the Menu bar around the screen if you hold down the left click mouse button on it and move the mouse around the screen.

(I am not editing this any further.)

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
john71105 said:
Instructions for Win 7.
Right Click on the Start Button.
Go to Properties and select the "Taskbar" Tab at the top.
Remove the Check Mark from "Auto-hide the task bar".

XP is pretty much the same as above.
If these instructions don't work, go to help and support and search for auto-hide task bar.
-----------------------------------------------
This answer assumes that it is the Menu Start Bar and Taskbar that keeps disappearing until you mouse over it. If that isn't the case, we will need a screen shot showing what the screen looks like without the items you mention.

If you press "alt-prnt scr" (the "ALT" key and the "Prt Scr" buttons at the same time, Print Screen, the button is usually near the top right of the keyboard) the system makes a silent copy of the screen. You can then use the Paste key to paste that copy into an open file, say an e-mail or a blank file created from the MS Paint Program.

You can then send that file as an attachment to an e-mail or upload the file as a picture to this website.

I would not mind receiving a Private Message if you need more help.

P.S. You can also accidentally move the Menu bar around the screen if you hold down the left click mouse button on it and move the mouse around the screen.

(I am not editing this any further.)
Thank you for all these suggestions. I tried the first and I have all the checkmarks in the right place. I think I'm just going to need to take it in. I don't know how computers work or how to fix them when they start having a mind of their own.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you everyone for responding and giving suggestions on how to get my computer to behave. My best bet is just to take it in and have them fix the problem. Don't like spending the money but I like even less having my computer misbehaving. I have other questions, too, like why I can't do a system restore and why I can't do more than a couple of the "back" arrow then need to end out. We all seem to have a love/hate relationship with our computers. I mean, where else can one talk to people all over the world and get help just by asking.

Thank you again for your help. Barbara

P.S. Will let you know what the problem was.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I want to thank everyone for responding with suggestions on how to fix my computer. I don't know if any one suggestion worked, but I tried them all, and even though it didn't seem to work at the time, my computer is now back to normal without having to take it in. Maybe there was a glitch that just worked itself out, I'm just glad it did.

Again, my thanks for taking the time helping me. Barbara

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom