Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The free legging pattern -
Nellie by Drops (Garnstudio)
is in 2x2 rib in the round.
Increasing is not my problem, it is maintaining the rib that has me stumped.
No matter how I choose to order the stitches I can not maintain the pattern.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
This may help
One projecton Ravelry mentions doing the increases on the hip instead of front and back - another option when using the above techniques

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
The trick for inc in rib pattern is to inc an entire rib...if it is 1 x 1, you inc both a knit and a purl in the same spot...the new column of rib will blend in because it is still in pattern. For 2 x 2, you would need 4 sts inc and this is probably not going to hide itself very well...which is why I use 1 x 1 most of the time.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
The trick for inc in rib pattern is to inc an entire rib...if it is 1 x 1, you inc both a knit and a purl in the same spot...the new column of rib will blend in because it is still in pattern. For 2 x 2, you would need 4 sts inc and this is probably not going to hide itself very well...which is why I use 1 x 1 most of the time.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Many knitting patterns with increases say to work the increased stitches into the stitch pattern, you often can't do this after the first increase, but soldier on. It will come right once you have made more increases.
Occasionally you will find a pattern which says to work the increased stitches in st.st./g.st. etc. It's to achieve the finished appearance of the garment/ item.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mrs.p.0172 said:
Many knitting patterns with increases say to work the increased stitches into the stitch pattern, you often can't do this after the first increase, but soldier on. It will come right once you have made more increases.
Occasionally you will find a pattern which says to work the increased stitches in st.st./g.st. etc. It's to achieve the finished appearance of the garment/ item.
The part that says " k first 2 sts inc, p next 2".
I'm not sure if that means
The increase ones in front vs the increase ones in back or using the sts adjoining the increases there will be 4 k the first 2 and p the next 2. In back and front.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yes, I agree, that bit is confusing. If it was me I think I would probably knit into the yarn overs on the first two increase rows and then purl into them on the next two. This way the ribs would follow the sequence each side of the two center stitches.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mrs.p.0172 said:
Have you tried enlarging the picture ? I just have, and it looks to me as though they did it the way I tried to suggest. I didn't think their reply to your question was a lot of help.
Thank you. I guess I'll have to do a swatch. I'm just not grasping/visualizing it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom