Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am knitting hexagons for the Charleston garden blanket by lion brand. My question is about sewing them together. I have tried blocking each one but the edges keep curling. Will the curl be lost once sewn together? Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
18,401 Posts
bjsill said:
I am knitting hexagons for the Charleston garden blanket by lion brand. My question is about sewing them together. I have tried blocking each one but the edges keep curling. Will the curl be lost once sewn together? Any suggestions are appreciated.
When I did mine, crochet. I made strips, joining one flat side of 2 then the next.
Joining the strips was a zig zag seam.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
I will add 2 cents also...
First, don't dread blocking. Next, go here and look
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/charleston-garden-blanket/people

See how they all look like they have ridges? They are not blocked.
Don't panic, block each hex before you join them, they will be more uniform and probably easier to work with....and not nearly as hard as blocking a whole afghan.

What yarn did you use??

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
bjsill said:
I am using Ice cream by lion brand. Thank you for the link. I will check it out.

Patty, your blanket is beautiful!
Blocking .... with acrylic is pretty permanent. . That's the good thing. The other thing is you have to be very careful when steaming so you don't 'kill' the yarn.

Pin your hex out to required/suggested measurements, do not touch the hex with your iron, it can melt acrylic. Only steam with your iron then leave it pinned until dry.

If you have a steamer instead of an iron that would be much easier. Comair makes a steamer and you would probably find it on sale somewhere with school starting back. Bed, Bath and Beyond used to carry them and you can get coupons online and in the mail for B,B,&B.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
run4fittness said:
I would love to find this in knit. I could use up a bunch of small amounts that way. Guess I should go looking for the pattern or make my own.
It is knit! Look in my earlier post, when you get there click on the detail tab and get pattern.

·
Registered
15,751 Posts
run4fittness said:
I would love to find this in knit. I could use up a bunch of small amounts that way. Guess I should go looking for the pattern or make my own.
Here's another knit one. You don't have to sew the hexagons together on this one. It's knit from the outside to the center. After you knit the first hexagon, you pick up stitches on one side to make the next one & continue adding hexagons by picking up stitches. You just need to weave in your ends when you're done or do it as you go. The hexagons are flat knit in the round (no purling) & different than the Lion Brand pattern which has a welt pattern. The link below is from the Knit and Crochet Now TV program - Season 4, episode 1. The program website leads you to Annie's Catalogue & they make it difficult to get free patterns without signing up. The link below should take you directly to the download with no signup required. Let me know if it doesn't work.

https://www.anniescatalog.com/knitandcrochetnow/patterns/detail.html?pattern_id=7&series=2

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
laceluvr said:
Here's another knit one. You don't have to sew the hexagons together on this one. It's knit from the outside to the center. After you knit the first hexagon, you pick up stitches on one side to make the next one & continue adding hexagons by picking up stitches. You just need to weave in your ends when you're done or do it as you go. The hexagons are flat knit in the round (no purling) & different than the Lion Brand pattern which has a welt pattern. The link below is from the Knit and Crochet Now TV program - Season 4, episode 1. The program website leads you to Annie's Catalogue & they make it difficult to get free patterns without signing up. The link below should take you directly to the download with no signup required. Let me know if it doesn't work.

https://www.anniescatalog.com/knitandcrochetnow/patterns/detail.html?pattern_id=7&series=2
Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
bjsill said:
What pattern do they give for making the hexagons? Mine don't curl, but then again I also do a round of single crochet on each after I finish the knitting. Then I have a flat chain on the edge to sew to the others. I make a flat seam. Go to this posting..... http://www.knittingparadise.com/t-252455-1.html...Hexagons, knitted. This is the pattern I always use for a hexagon. It does not curl.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom