Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knit the continental way and would like someone to give me directions, in this way, for how to increase. I can do it but I can't write the directions to give to my daughter. Hope someone can help me out....Thanks

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
There are many ways to increase. There is the method of knitting or purling in both the front and back of a stitch...the M1 method, the M1Left, M1right. You are going to have to specify which kind of increase you need to make.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I k through the front, do not take the stitch off, and then put the needle in the back and take off both stitches. My daughter can't understand what I am doing. This is how I learned a LONG time ago.....

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
((((((( Increases can be made several ways and anywhere in the project and even at the beginning of a row, over different stitches such as the knit or purl stitch, in the actual stitch or between stitches as in in the horizontal bar between but below the two stitches.

******Send me the pattern you have there and I'll know which ones applies to you at this time. If it's a practice swatch, I will know, also. I can send you a video and also write it in text for you. My guess is that you're increasing in a knit stitch and not in between two stitches using the horizontal bar below those two stitches. Surfing for one just now, I didn't find it but did find the one using the bar method I'll write in in text; See a little further below, please.

Here are useful increase keywords to use for your method of choice and for future references. Mind bending, eh? LOL!.
~~~

If in between stitches for a knit stitch, surf for:

M1 knit continental video M1 = Make 1
Some increases may be make in a stitch and some in
the horizontal bar of the stitch below. Each will make a
different effect and applied as needed. http://www.ehow.com/video_4413607_m1-knitting-stitches.html

If needed in another knit stitch that's not done in the stitch bar below, surf for:
K1fb continental video
******** I'm guessing this is the one you want in knit versus the purl stitch, too but I didn't find that video quickly and looked at several then gave up as I'm on medium satellite Internet speed. I'll write it in text;

Knit as usual; Don't remove stitch from needle
Swing RH (unless left handed) needle around left needle
and to the back side.
Enter through the back of stitch as if to knit
Complete the stitch; One increase made

If increasing in a purl stitch, surf for: Purl increase
continental video
If increasing at the beginning of a row, surf for:
Cable cast on continental.
~~~
There are other possibilities, too I suppose.

Recap: If you'd send me the pattern you have at hand, or what test swatch idea you're working with, where you are in the row, etc, I can tell you which one you need and possibly send you the video and also hand write the how-tos in chart form versus 1st, 2nd or third person.

If you're left handed, searches can be made by just noting left handed in the rest of the keyword search.

Good luck!
~~~~~~
Somewhere in the body of the
Nenepat said:
I knit the continental way and would like someone to give me directions, in this way, for how to increase. I can do it but I can't write the directions to give to my daughter. Hope someone can help me out....Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brandon, Iowa.....Thank you/.....You came up with a good written description of what I want......to increase in a knit stitch......My daughter will be so happy to know this as she wants to make a baby afghan for an "upcoming" birth next fall......Not sure if you are the one that mentioned the book but I will also try to find that .....Thanks so much!!!

This site is wonderful and how nice to have answers so quickly......

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
((((((( You're welcome, Nenepat!!

What pattern is she using? I know of an easy one where a YO (yarn over) is used to increase one stitch and it makes a lacy hole on purpose. Easy pattern, too but jazzy yarn gives it a kick.

Would you mind sharing your pattern? Please do & TY. Also, if you want my pattern, it's on lionbrand.com and is made on the diagonal.

If you want it but can't find it there, send me a private message through this forum, include your email address and I'll send it to you out of my Incredimail folders that has a picture, too without drawing up the website. I made it on circulars.
~~~~
Thank you/.....You came up with a good written description of what I want......to increase in a knit stitch......My daughter will be so happy to know this as she wants to make a baby afghan for an "upcoming" birth next fall......Not sure if you are the one that mentioned the book but I will also try to find that .....Thanks so much!!!

This site is wonderful and how nice to have answers so quickly......[/quote]

·
Registered
1 Posts
The easiest increase is to knit in the front and then back of the next stitch. You can also use the M1 method, though that leaves a small hole, though a smaller one if you need into the back of the stitch on the next row.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ellens12 - Thank you so much for sending this info in such simple words......I think I have it now!! Good luck with all your knitting, etc......

Don't you love this website where you can get all kinds of ideas and also get some help.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Have you ever tried the lifted increase? I just learned how and I love it! You can't see the increase at all. I'm wondering if it's on you tube before I try to bungle the explanation by myself. I'll look it up. Nanette

·
Registered
767 Posts
Nenepat ~ Please have your daughter go to the library and check out Elizabeth Zimmerman's DVD. I loved it and I have recommended it to everyone. She taught me to knit 49 years (yep, 49) ago. Her book is still in our library after all these years! The DVD is fantastic ~ like sitting right next to her. FUN!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello--To answer your question about continental knitting inc., I prefer to make 1 (m1) by picking up a loop from under the connecting yarn between the next two stitches, think of this as making another stitch-- knit or purl this loop. This method does not create a bump in an already made stitch.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello--To answer your question about continental knitting inc., I prefer to make 1 (m1) by picking up a loop from under the connecting yarn between the next two stitches, think of this as making another stitch-- knit or purl this loop. This method does not create a bump in an already made stitch. :?

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
No matter how you knit: Continental, English, Combined, Eastern European or Russian..one of the BEST investment a new knitter can make, is in a little book called "The Knitting Answer Book". Every way to increase, or decrease, bind off, cast on, make button holes, shape armholes...you name it, it's in that little book! The book will cost you about $15.00 (less if you utilize coupons and free shipping options) but it will be the best investment you ever made!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Avidknit er1.....Thanks for the information. This sounds very easy and I have not increased this way but will surely try it......Everyone has been so helpful and now I think I will be able to put it all in writing to my daughter. Thanks so much...Nenepat

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom