Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone, I'm a new knitter. I learned from a wonderful YouTube video. I learned continental b/c it was easier on my hands and just seemed visually simpler and faster to me. Unfortunately, I had already purchased several knitting reference books before I picked up this continental style. Much of what's in these bks isn't helpful to us continentals. I take up the info slack by turning to You Tube and other internet sources. Are any of you familiar w/ a really good continental knitting book that you would recommend or vice versa one you would absolutely not recommend? I'm also on the hunt for a particularly welcoming group of knitters in the Hoover, AL area. Much more communion and fellowship if real folks meet.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
(((((((( I don't own method books for knitting but go to the web for instructions on:

English knitting video
Continental
Combined continental (I use this one and can do them all)
Alternate combined continental
Eastern continental knitting
Norweigan
Portuguese
Peruvian
Weird
Geek

I just learn the method there (to include differences in techniques (YO for one)) and don't buy a method book - just patterns.

But, you could surf for:

Continental method book

Or:

book continental knitting how to

........no doubt, there would be some out there. I believe the vieos are the 'go to' place, though and save on buying a book.

The '''learn to knit kits''' teach E & C....but not the others unless you're on their Continent (I suppose).

If you've got a learn-how book there, read through it as many show both E & C.......and some are also designed to teach lefthanders. Perhaps you'd like them. Boye makes a 'how to knit' kit for sure then you'd also find tools of the craft = $10.00 at Wal-Mart. They also make a scaled down version = no tools. They're in a blister pack and I can't verify what method/s are taught. ((;

Libraries, too would be a source. Look though them and see if there's one you prefer over another. They'd have pattern books, too.

Good luck & HANE!
~~~~~~~~~
itg said:
Hi, everyone, I'm a new knitter. I learned from a wonderful YouTube video. I learned continental b/c it was easier on my hands and just seemed visually simpler and faster to me. Unfortunately, I had already purchased several knitting reference books before I picked up this continental style. Much of what's in these bks isn't helpful to us continentals. I take up the info slack by turning to You Tube and other internet sources. Are any of you familiar w/ a really good continental knitting book that you would recommend or vice versa one you would absolutely not recommend? I'm also on the hunt for a particularly welcoming group of knitters in the Hoover, AL area. Much more communion and fellowship if real folks meet.
itg said:

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
pinkrose1969 said:
Wow I am so confused with all these different methods I want a simple teaching on Continental is there such a teaching?
here are my three fave places to send continental knitters...it is the simplest purl st and the best selection of inc/dec styles, complete with examples of pairs (for balanced appearance) and demos...PS...Russian is just the name of this style...it is the simplest and non-finger-waving version of continental that i have found....

Above is Russian knitting in the back (this is the missing piece for you...purling will be easy after seeing this)

And Russian purling...such a treat...

http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/increases
And a great site for any inc/dec style you might need...they are shown in pairs so you can put on both sides of your garment the right way...and they demo in both continental (picking) and English (throwing)...have fun... (the decreases are on the same page, over on a list on the right hand side)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom