Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
pinkrose1969 said:
I so want to learn continental but for some reason I can not pull the yarn through.
Above is Russian knitting in the back (this is the missing piece for you...purling will be easy after seeing this)

And Russian purling...such a treat...

http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/increases
And a great site for any inc/dec style you might need...they are shown in pairs so you can put on both sides of your garment the right way...and they demo in both continental (picking) and English (throwing)...have fun... (the decreases are on the same page, over on a list on the right hand side)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I just watched a video about continental knitting. I've been trying to get the hang of this method for a while. So far I find it much slower than my usual method and it makes my left hand ache.
Di

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I just looked at some more videos to find out what my knitting method is. It looks a lot like a cross between Scottish knitting and Australian knitting. The yarn tension is controlled by the fingers of my right hand and the yarn is flipped around the needle by my right pointer. My left hand holds the work and the left pointer helps the knitted stitch off the needle.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Here's the nearest to my knitting method. I can knit quite fast if I choose to but I like to take an easy, comfortable pace and enjoy what I'm doing. I never feel the need to make a race out of it. I've looked at the various videos that members have given for continental knitting, inc. Russian method. The feel awkward and make my left hand very uncomfortable. Like so many things, I think it's just a case of each to her/his own.
Di

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
courier770 said:
I don't knit Russian method to knit fast, it's just the way I have knitted for 46 years! Though I do happen to knit quite a bit faster than most.
When we have been knitting the same way for a long time, like we both have, I expect we get comfortable with what's familiar. Happy knitting to everyone by whatever method.
Di

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
I have come to realize I knit in a combination method.. its considered continental but my purls are so much easier than some... for the longest time I knitted through the back loop only but I have found some pattern and most lace patterns where it really makes a difference in how it all turns out.. so I have just recently started knitting through the front loop.. so I don't know how much of a combination I have anymore... but it looks good and I'm fine with it.... I am wondering how are you planning on learning this and then teach it in just a few months time?? that is a huge undertaking... I wish you luck... I personally would book mark several Videos to help with your class... if thats even allowed.. I am sure if its not we will hear about it....LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom