Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,118 Posts
nj6fl6 said:
I don't like to work with bulky yarn. I limit myself to DK, aran or worsted weights. Is there a way I can make this Leaf Scarf pattern in a worsted weight yarn?

https://downloads.lovecrafts.com/10142616_Leaf-Scarf-in-Spud-and-Chloe-Downloadable-PDF_2.pdf?Expires=1606836155&Signature=d6CBqXf2gVpyNQEyiuDxAmFODZcRDZ2~E59p4ZKpC0Ccu80dpDPr80Sw3iugT8iDBT6j2CCDn~nIer5Lhu3RQoAzX2PqljkzGwb7LADuS3qKosmnR8RJsFkh4it5HdwsfEOg-TjZzFkSSPQypyFw5v4oTBscXRcbq9N7qGtscMZ4C9wj-MxbG9WvjVuPb3WIjS8jR9HiNFScmuW3IvX6gnShPsodRmA1CUGiRw0KY8mYzNkOyNoMXvVw5mfRaFMMqP83sKUE8h5bG9DhgFFr2hF1AEjxHGynq-fmJm352gPG8K8F1qJWvIaxdEePi-heqooJjlCqp-kvY0a2WCjh6w__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIBW2GKAJU2YWZVLA
I keep getting an error message when I try to open this link. Wish that I could help you!

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
Your link didn't work for me but if this is the pattern https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/leaf then it uses super bulky yarn, not bulky. Making it in worsted weight would create a completely different look and a much narrower scarf. At first glance, I don't see a way to make it wider using worsted weight. If there is a distinct pattern repeat, then you could add repeats, but I haven't read the pattern.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
targa416 said:
Your link didn't work for me but if this is the pattern https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/leaf then it uses super bulky yarn, not bulky. Making it in worsted weight would create a completely different look and a much narrower scarf. At first glance, I don't see a way to make it wider using worsted weight. If there is a distinct pattern repeat, then you could add repeats, but I haven't read the pattern.
Thank you. I reading over the pattern a few times, there doesn't seem to be an easy transition from super bulky (not bulky) to worsted.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nankat said:
I would try a search for a leaf pattern scarf in worsted weight yarn if I wasn't already a designer of patterns.
In reading over the pattern a few times, I see no way to make the conversion. I love the look of this pattern, but have to agree with you that a worsted pattern is probably the only answer.

·
Registered
13,196 Posts
This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
<Error>
Code:
AccessDenied
<Message>Access denied</Message>
</Error>

·
Registered
10,590 Posts
I’m not super experienced, but could you make this with worsted and just put a plain border on each side of the leaves possibly to make it wider? Or maybe DK and do double the leaf sections? Do check gauge of course.

·
Registered
19,983 Posts
nj6fl6 said:
I don't like to work with bulky yarn. I limit myself to DK, aran or worsted weights. Is there a way I can make this Leaf Scarf pattern in a worsted weight yarn?

https://downloads.lovecrafts.com/10142616_Leaf-Scarf-in-Spud-and-Chloe-Downloadable-PDF_2.pdf?Expires=1606836155&Signature=d6CBqXf2gVpyNQEyiuDxAmFODZcRDZ2~E59p4ZKpC0Ccu80dpDPr80Sw3iugT8iDBT6j2CCDn~nIer5Lhu3RQoAzX2PqljkzGwb7LADuS3qKosmnR8RJsFkh4it5HdwsfEOg-TjZzFkSSPQypyFw5v4oTBscXRcbq9N7qGtscMZ4C9wj-MxbG9WvjVuPb3WIjS8jR9HiNFScmuW3IvX6gnShPsodRmA1CUGiRw0KY8mYzNkOyNoMXvVw5mfRaFMMqP83sKUE8h5bG9DhgFFr2hF1AEjxHGynq-fmJm352gPG8K8F1qJWvIaxdEePi-heqooJjlCqp-kvY0a2WCjh6w__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIBW2GKAJU2YWZVLA
What is the name of the pattern and who is the designer? Your link seems to be to download a pattern in your collection on lovecrafts so we can't open it. We'd love to see what pattern you've found and many would try to be of real help.

The quick and easy, might not work answer is to do more repeats with a thinner yarn.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I would just follow the instructions and make a much narrower scarf. It would still fill the gap in you coat or jacket. You could make it longer and wrap it twice around your neck. Great scarf. BTW, the scarf on my profile picture is only 3 inches wide and I love it.

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
GrumpyGramma said:
What is the name of the pattern and who is the designer? Your link seems to be to download a pattern in your collection on lovecrafts so we can't open it. We'd love to see what pattern you've found and many would try to be of real help.

The quick and easy, might not work answer is to do more repeats with a thinner yarn.
I posted the link above.

·
Registered
19,983 Posts
I see this in the pattern so IMHO there should be no problem working it in worsted weight yarn.

Pattern Notes:
Don’t be afraid to be bold with this pattern. It can be knit
in almost any yarn weight in practically any size. The
increase, decrease, and straight sections are designed
so that they can be easily added or subtracted to the
pattern.
The worsted weight sample shown has 6 increase
repeats, 10 straight repeats, and 6 decrease repeats (22
leaves total). Each repeat will give you one leaf. I had
less than 5 grams of yarn left when finished.

I'm glad you asked about it and I woke up enough to read that the link had been posted. I might make this in fingering. I have a lot of sock yarn. It seems, from a quick look, that you increase to the desired width then work even, then decrease. I might start both ends working two at a time then graft the middle. I suck at guesstimating yarn requirements and this would eliminate all of that except making sure I have enough for the join. It might be tricky getting the border to look right at the middle though. I'm not sure what I'd do there.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
I would use needles and match the gauge first. Once I did that, IF I was able to get gauge, then I would continue on with the pattern.

I converted a worsted weight afghan pattern, where 2 strands of worsted were held together throughout the whole pattern this way. Two strands of regular worsted weight equals 1 strand of bulky, so I decided that using bulky would be a better fit for the afghan I'm making for my brother. I have to admit that it is a whole LOT easier to do worsted to bulky than the other way around.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom