Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make the Opal ponytail beanie which is an English pattern. It calls for 6-8 ply yarn and does not give a gauge for me to make a swatch. Is it sport weight? It also calls for 4mm needles which I know is size 6 US. I need to know what the weight is in US version. Any help from any UK KPers would be greatfully appreciated. Thanks, Karol~~

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much. I was hoping that it was sport weight. Now I can get started on my last 2 Christmas presents.
fergablu2 said:
8-ply is DK or weight category-3 or light, according to Wikipedia. In the stores, like Joann's, weight 3 is readily available and I think it's usually called sport weight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yarn_weight

·
Registered
19,648 Posts
Standard gauge for 8ply or DK is 22 sts to 10cm on 4mm needles.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Karoy said:
I want to make the Opal ponytail beanie which is an English pattern. It calls for 6-8 ply yarn and does not give a gauge for me to make a swatch. Is it sport weight? It also calls for 4mm needles which I know is size 6 US. I need to know what the weight is in US version. Any help from any UK KPers would be greatfully appreciated. Thanks, Karol~~
In reality ply has nothing to do with how thick the wool is. You can have 4 ply the same size as one ply. 6-8 ply is not a common name, so the pattern my be an old one, but I would be inclined to think Double-knit which I believe you call worsted. In the long run use a needle that suits the yarn you want to use, work out how many stitches needed to make the size you want and go from there.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Karoy said:
We do not get 8 ply in G.B but its called that in Australia.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom