Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of patterns will say "2nd row and all even rows P" --- I want to convert a pattern where there are YOs and K2tog on the "wrong side". Do I read the patterns for each row backwards, knitting the Ps and YO where it says to, and so on? Or am I forced to knit the front and the back as one, which would be easy to do for this particular pattern, and deal with just one seam instead of two? PM me if you want me to print the specific rows I have questions about, please. Thanks for any and all help . . .

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
the 2nd row will be a knit row instead of a purl row and you are always going the correct way for your pattern row

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
First of all what are you doing? A) cardigan (3 pieces, back and 2 fronts with seams B) cardigan in one piece without seam knitting back and forth all three pieces together deducting 2 selvedge from back and 1 each from front OR C) pullover (knit in kind of tube without seam until armhole division). Normally, if you are reading chart you will be reading from right to left then left to right in the case of A) abd B). The chart represents the right side of the pattern, therefore in the case of C) you will be reading every rows from right to left. Have a look at some chart you will see the the symbols empty box = knit in right side and purl in wrong side, k2tog in right side = p2tog in wrong side, but yo still remains yo.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm knitting a toddler dress/jumper that says to knit the front and back the same then the yoke is knit in circular needles and one only picks up some of the stitches from the front and the back; the unpicked up stitches are the armholes. The problem for me is that the ends of the rows are just a little different than the beginning: the whole row has K3tog but the last repeat is K2tog . . . that kind of thing. Understand why I am unsure what to do?

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
PJ: You have the right idea. In written directions (as opposed to a chart), the even-numbered rows will be worked from end to beginning. The knit stitches will be purled and the purl sts will be knit.
Eg: Row 2: P6, yo, p2 tog will be done as: k2tog, yo, k6.

As for the edge being slightly different from the body--you'll be able to figure that out by how the pattern should look. It will probably just be a repeat all the way around with nothing different at the "edges". You might have to adjust the number of stitches slightly.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks - that's what I thought I'd have to do -- and really didn't want to know. This means I'll have to rewrite all the even lines of the pattern so I don't screw it up more than I already seem to be able to do. I've frogged this at least 4 times already. And that's working it on straight needles . . . this just may have to wait for football season so I can knit during the commercials and the play-by-replays. I do appreciate your help, even if it makes my life a bit more difficult in the short run. If I have to frog it much more, it may never, ever get done!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom