Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just bought a new sock book, Happy Feet by Cathy Carron. Love the book, but it is all using DPNS and top down. I am a avid Magic looper for my socks. Doing a search here did bring up someone who had trouble too.

Do I just put markers where the3 needles would go?? I dont mind trying to do it Top Down doing Magic loop but confused on how?

Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
635 Posts
All sock patterns are a toe, foot, heel and leg. The only difference in patterns is a stitch pattern or use of yarn. I use the same pattern for all socks only changing the stitch count if the particular stitch pattern requires it. If I'm doing stranded knitting, I will also change the stitch count but not the basic pattern, same toe, same heel. There are, however, some unique heels I would love to try but haven't gotten to them yet. Do a swatch of the stitch in the pattern to determine how many overall stitches you'll need for the sock to fit your foot. Cast on your socks, TAAT if that's your preference, knit the toe as you like, start the stitch pattern on the top of the foot, stockinette on the sole, use your "go to" heel, and finish the cuff. I hope I haven't confused you more.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Just CO the required # of sts using circular needle of the size you need. Then instead of dividing the sts by placement on the 3 (or 4) DPNs, divide them by 2 on the circ, half for the heel and half for the instep, and carry on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The pattern would be upside down. If it is not a pattern like a leaf stitch or flower most times it won't matter but it does depend on the stitch pattern. lots of cables, etc. basically look the same either way and most would never notice the difference. I just turn the picture of the pattern upside down and if it looks OK I go for it, otherwise I bite the bullet and knit top down if I really want that pattern. I'm sure there must be a way to reverse them but haven't bothered to try or look for info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I always knit socks TAAT, since I suffer from SSS. I just started knitting toe up socks, and I love it! I love the way the toe looks and love the wrap and turn heel. Gives a nice, clean and neat heel. To convert patterns, if it's a simple stitch repeat, work the toe increases, stockinette on bottom of foot, pattern on top of foot, work till about 2.5 inches of total foot length, work gusset increases, heel of choice, and top of sock. If the sock pattern has an intricate pattern and not a stitch repeat, just work the pattern in reverse.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom