Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suggested recipes for cookies you absolutely love would be appreciated.
We live in FL, son lives in CO so it can't be anything gooey or could melt in transit (like choc chip).

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
My friends love my habanero cookies. Sweet with just a little kick of spice.

Font Paper product Paper Document Parallel

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Oatmeal raisin cookies are good to ship. Also snickerdoodles and pecan sandies. When my son was stationed in Germany I sent a care package to him once a month for 3 years. I tried just about every kind of cookie known to man. The three I listed were his favorite.

·
Registered
23,239 Posts
Suggested recipes for cookies you absolutely love would be appreciated.
We live in FL, son lives in CO so it can't be anything gooey or could melt in transit (like choc chip).
Typical Toll House Cookie recipe ... instead of regular chocolate chips, add white chocolate chips, dried cranberries, and chopped pistachios.
They are yummy. They ship well.

·
Registered
12,741 Posts
Also how you pack them to ship makes a difference. A vacuum packing machine used to preserve foods does a good job of sucking out most of the air and holding them still. Manually seal it about half way evacuated. Packing with popcorn around them helps cushion cookies too. I have a good toffee popcorn recipe if you want that.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Putting a slice of fresh bread or apple slice in the package can keep cookies moist too.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
I like Snowball Cookies, or some call them Russian Tea Cakes, Mexican Wedding Cookies, or Pecan Sandies, or just Sandies. Whatever you call them, they are my favorite cooky. I lost my Mom's recipe and have been looking for a new one, but I hesitate to make them because, if I do, then I eat them. All. I eat them all. Sigh. Best cookies ever.

·
Registered
11,630 Posts
Anzac Cookies were sent to Australian soldiers in WW 2 as they travelled well and kept for a long time because there were no eggs.
Anzac Cookies
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup coconut

1/2 cup butter or hard margarine melted
2 tbsp golden syrup

1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup boiling water

Put flour, sugar, oats and coconut in a mixing bowl. Stir well together and make a well in the centre.
Add butter and syrup to well.
Dissolve baking soda in boiling water. Add to well.

Mix well then drop by spoonfuls onto greased baking sheet. Bake at 350* F for 8 to 10 minutes
Makes 3 dozen.
These are delicious and a family favourite. I add a teaspoonful of vanilla but it was not called for in the recipe I have.

·
Registered
11,630 Posts
I like Snowball Cookies, or some call them Russian Tea Cakes, Mexican Wedding Cookies, or Pecan Sandies, or just Sandies. Whatever you call them, they are my favorite cooky. I lost my Mom's recipe and have been looking for a new one, but I hesitate to make them because, if I do, then I eat them. All. I eat them all. Sigh. Best cookies ever.
Google. I just did for all three names and came up with lots of recipes. There must be one that is close to your mother's recipe.
They look interesting, I'm going to try them myself.

Edit: I just found a recipe (Company's Coming Cookies book, my go-to) It's called Pecan Balls.

Pecan Balls:
1 cup butter or hard margarine, softened
1/2 cup icing (confectioner's) sugar
2-1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup ground pecans
2 tsp vanilla

Icing sugar

Combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl. Mix first with a spoon and then by hand until it holds together. Shape into 1 inch balls. Arrange on baking sheet and bake at 325*F for 20 to 25 minutes.
As soon as balls have cooled enough to handle, roll them in icing sugar.
Makes about 6 dozen.

Variations:
Omit pecans and add 1 cup of ground almonds.
Buried Cherry - completely cover well drained maraschino cherries with dough. Bake same as above.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top Bottom