Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
20,519 Posts
SUZ from WA STATE said:
I HEAR THAT COTTON WILL BE AT A PREMIUM SOON. ANYONE HEAR ALSO? SUZ :roll:
I am in the process of hemming a brand new pair of pants for my niece because the thread they used to hold the hem is as thin as a hair & of course it tore & the hem came down before she could even wear them!!
SHEESH!!! What else are they going to cheapen & raise the price of?

Sheryl

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Remember 1 lb packages of bacon? How about the size of a candy bar? I'll bet the next thing to shrink will be lipstick. Either shorter or slimmer.

·
Registered
14,772 Posts
Why not everything else is. I did hear that the government was thinking of going to the $1.00 coin because of the price of cotton used in the paper bills.
What a pain that will be to carry around a bunch of heavy coins. Just use the debit card more.:) Judy

·
Registered
22,470 Posts
It is the GM cotton that bothers me most. The increase in cost--well, that is what these corporate moghuls are all about. India has been suckered into growing GM cotton and I am sure some of it will end up in american yarn and clothing. I won't use yarn with soy in it since 91% of soy grown in the US is GM.

·
Registered
20,519 Posts
StitchDesigner said:
Remember 1 lb packages of bacon? How about the size of a candy bar? I'll bet the next thing to shrink will be lipstick. Either shorter or slimmer.
Coffee only comes in 12 oz containers now. So does some pastas.

·
Registered
22,470 Posts
GM is genetic modification. You will also see GMO which is Genetically Modified Organisms, and GE which is Genetic Engineering. It all refers to the same thing--the manipulation of an organisms gene structure. Corporations such as Monsanto have been doing this to force the purchase of their toxic chemicals such as Round Up. It is very dangerous technology that is affecting health and the environment very negatively and destroying small and organic farmers. Probably more info than you expected.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I think some of it has to do with many farmers converting to growing corn to sell for ethanol. Less cotton being planted. Also corn is in almost everything we eat, and even dog food, so everything we eat is going up in price, too, because food producers are having to compete with ethanol producers.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
GM crops seem to be the "bane" of small organic farmers..many if not most are not full time farmers..though farmers who grow crops for a living and the masses are not fighting the GM's...hmmmmmmm. If you are truly anti "chemical" then you should be upset with all the chemicals used in the production of acrylic and other "synthetic" yarns.

Most rises in price are related to transportation costs. We buy oil from the middle east (an area of the world that hates us) and we sell OUR oil to China..makes no sense to me. I live in a part of the country where you can't swing a cat (alive or dead) without hitting an oil well..yet all of the oil from these wells is being sold to China.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Last October we went to Colorado. We tried 2 tanks of ethanol because it was 12 cents/gal cheaper. Actually cost more because we lost 4 mpg. Go figure.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom