Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here I am holding a BIG (super bulky no. 6) squishy Bernat blanket skein of yarn which is really more like a log. I have no idea why I bought 2, one solid white and one with short intervals of color, other than it was super cheap. What to make? Not a baby blanket. Although the yarn is very soft, little fingers would probably get caught between the stitches. The low price was offset by my endless search for a pattern for this weight and yardage. Not my best quality (buying cheap because I can) or use of my time. I finally settled on a little caplet whose stitches were hidden by the designer's use of furry yarn. Mystery pattern--like I'm in my own private KAL. I had the required size 17 needles which are actually good for a multitude of purposes--unclogging drains; spearing an ear of corn (well no, the tips are too blunt); knitting. I chose the multi-colored yarn and proceeded to silently scream. The yarn doesn't want to budge on the plastic circular needles without a furious push. That I can do. Reminder to self: learn to cast on more loosely. As I creep along, a pattern starts to emerge. It's then that I see that a furry yarn is not such a bad idea as I try to knit evenly. That type of yarn hides a lot. My hands hurt after 2 rows so I stop. No matter. Three days in and only 18 rows to go which is a definite asset for no. 6 yarn.

I still have the white. Then I saw choiyuk96's post for the Rise and Shine Hat and Cowl. Do I dare or give my hands a rest and knit a finely detailed shawl? LOL

Wendy

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Can I ask what the furry Capelet pattern is? I make those for nursing homes and I also have some chunky yarn (not quite as chunky as yours, tho).

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dear Mathrox--
I found it on the Cascade Yarn website for free: Pattern no. B265 called Furliscious Vaudeville Caplet by Carly Waterman. So easy especially with a yarn that slides well.
If you don't find it, I can post the directions tomorrow. Thanks for asking.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Thank you for the name .... I found it. It looks fairly easy to make ... but starting with 32 stitches ... is that big enough? It didn’t offer a choice of sizes and I know it’s for thick, cozy yarn and large needles ... but just wondering.
I think I will try it as I am trying to use up stash .... especially the thicker yarns which take up so much room to store.
I have a chunky twist yarn ... 2 skeins of hot pink and white and 4 skeins of navy and white. Bought them when AC Moore was going out of business (????????☹) and they were at the end and it was VERY inexpensive. Don’t regret it but was unsure what to do with it. Wraps shouldn’t be heavy on the shoulders, so I am hoping that knitting with large needles will give this nice drape ... holes will make it a bit ‘airier’.
Thanks again .... post of picture of yours when done.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
I don’t know if this works with plastic needles (the larger sizes are almost all plastic) but with my bamboo, I took wax paper and crumpled it a bit and rubbed it up and down and all around the needles. They are gliding a bit better.
I bought a pair of knit picks bamboo size 4 and they were finished .... stained a deep green and very slippery. A joy to work with. The unfinished bamboo are the ones that still stick a bit. Hence the wax paper.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
A couple of years ago I bought some of that yarn to knit a baby blanket. Couldn't knit with it so switched to crochet with a large hook and a corner to corner single crochet pattern. It turned out fairly well but I vowed to never buy the yarn again.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
I do think it is easier to crochet with chenille ... and it uses it up a lot faster than knitting.
Also, my friend uses chenille for looming hats. If that’s an option for you.

·
Premium Member
81,061 Posts
Wendy Anne said:
Dear Mathrox--
I found it on the Cascade Yarn website for free: Pattern no. B265 called Furliscious Vaudeville Caplet by Carly Waterman. So easy especially with a yarn that slides well.
If you don't find it, I can post the directions tomorrow. Thanks for asking.
Link: http://www.cascadeyarns.com/patternsFree/B265_Furliscious_Vaudeville_Capelet.pdf
On Ravelry: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/vaudeville-capelet

Does anyone remember https://www.knittingparadise.com/user-post-list?usernum=87917]disgo[/URL]? He never (I think) posted photos, but there was little about fabric, fashion, knitting, crochet, tatting, etc. that he didn't know in great detail.
In his last year or so, his fingers were useless for fine work, and he churned out laprobes for his sister's shop - crocheted laprobes made with Bernat Blanket. When the colour he wanted vanished from US stock lists, he found it was still available here in Montreal. I bought it and mailed what he needed. It was sad to learn of his death, even though he'd told me in emails that he was failing.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Jessica-Jean said:
Link: http://www.cascadeyarns.com/patternsFree/B265_Furliscious_Vaudeville_Capelet.pdf
On Ravelry: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/vaudeville-capelet

Does anyone remember https://www.knittingparadise.com/user-post-list?usernum=87917]disgo[/URL]? He never (I think) posted photos, but there was little about fabric, fashion, knitting, crochet, tatting, etc. that he didn't know in great detail.
In his last year or so, his fingers were useless for fine work, and he churned out laprobes for his sister's shop - crocheted laprobes made with Bernat Blanket. When the colour he wanted vanished from US stock lists, he found it was still available here in Montreal. I bought it and mailed what he needed. It was sad to learn of his death, even though he'd told me in emails that he was failing.
The link you posted to the user doesn't go anywhere valid. I tried.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
targa416 said:
Bernat Blanket "yarn" is chenille. It is going to fight you one stitch at a time.
YAH!!!!! chenille and polyester are a big pain the dufuss....won't buy or touch....gives me the willies and a pinhead rash that itches like elllll....(as if i was working with wool)....still have some Pipsqueak that i will probably have to give up...unless i can knit with gloves....

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom