Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the pattern http://www.yarn.com/resources/Yarn/docs/discdpatterns/286_Shale_Pleated_Scarf.pdf It's free, so copyright is not involved. It's for a scarf on size 9 needles and the cast-on is 50. For the life of me, I cannot figure out what the repeat is as it starts with a Sl1 and ends with a K1 with 6 stitches in between. I want to convert this to an afghan at least 42 or so inches wide using bulkier yarn on size 11 needles. Could someone please tell me what the repeat is?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Depending on the row, the repeat changes but it's always whatever is written between the star and the "; . double coma, untill the last stitch. This way you can add as many repeats as you want, just redo and redo whatever is in between the stars. It looks nice .

·
Registered
20,194 Posts
It is 6 st. repeat and 1 st on each edge for a smooth slipped edge.

You can do a swatch with your size 11 needles and bulky yarn and see how big it comes out to figure how many stitches you need for the width you want for the afghan.

Do a swatch with a cast on of 26 - 4 repeats of 6 + edge st. It should give you a good idea if you like the pattern.

·
Registered
11,661 Posts
The repeat is the 6 stitches in between * Row 1 is slip 1 then knit 1 purl 5, keep repeating knit 1 purl 5(hope I remembered the right stitches from the pattern) until you get to last stitch & knit 1. The repeats give you 48 stitches & the 2 end stitches make it 50.

So for your afghan you will have whatever multiple of 6 you need to get your 42 inches & then add 1 stitch for beginning & 1 for end. Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I agree with mirl56. Use your swatch to gauge how many stitches in an inch using your yarn and needle, then multiply by the number of inches you want wide, divide by 6 and that should give you the number of repeats you will need, then add the 2 stitches for the 1 stitch on each edge.

Post a picture when you are finished.

·
Registered
305 Posts
What is between the *s is the repeat. 6 stitches X whatever +2 (one stitch on each end that gets slipped so the edges look nice). The patterns says that it finishes at 10-12". If you knit tight, you might want to figure that casting on 50 would finish @10"...

Cast on somewhere around 200 (50 stitches = 10" therefore 4 X 50 = 4 X 10") and add 2 for the ends.
206 (34 X 6) + 2 = 40"

You would have to do a swatch to check your measurements if you really need 42" ;)

·
Registered
679 Posts
Looks reversible, too. I like scarves and afghans to be reversible, especially if it is a gift. That way I know they will wear or use it with the correct side showing. :lol: I always have to remind myself that, unless you knit, you don't always know right from wrong. :oops:

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all. So obvious when I see it written out. I figured out the repeat of 6 + 2 but couldn't see where it equaled 50 stitches. Really stupid on my part. I definitely will do a swatch to figure out how many stitches I need for the yarn I intend to use, plus the #11 needles, to reach my desired width. Length will be a piece of cake in comparison.

Isn't KP just the greatest! Your prompt responses are deeply appreciated and I can get on with the project. :D

·
Registered
529 Posts
I would cast on 248 stitches to get the correct width. You would get the 6st repeat per row 41 times plus 1 st at each end. Follow the 8 row pattern and keep repeating it from rows 1 - 8 over and over until you reach the length for your Afghan.

Row 1 sl 1, *k1,p5 41 times, k1.
Row 2 sl 1, *k4,p2 41 times, k1
Row 3 sl 1, *k3,p3 41 times, k1.
Row 4 sl 1, *k2,p4 41 times, k1.
Row 5 sl 1, *k5,p1 41 times, k1.
Row 6 sl 1, *k2,p4 41 times, k1.
Row 7 sl 1, *k3,p3 41 times, k1.
Row 8 sl 1, *k4,p2 41 times, k1.
Hope this sounds right. Good luck, Fiona

Sorry this is updated as my maths was really badly off.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts

The above video tutorial is for slipping the first stich of each row purlwise, and shows you the finished difference [from knitting or slipping the first stitch knitwise]. Slipping the first stitch purlwise is common, even though not stated in a pattern, because of the finished look [refer to video].

I hope that this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The repeat is the six stitches for each row so that's -slip 1 at beginning and end of row that means 50 take away 2 stitches equals 48 - so you repeat the six stitches 8 times for each row and then the slip stitch at end of row.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Thank you so much julielacykntr. I have a pattern that does a slip stich at the beginning and I was not sure why. Now I know. The pattern also says "If you don't want a rolled edge, you can add a few more stitches to the edges and knit them in garter stitch." If I do that, should I also slip the first stich? It is a wrap pattern, Glitzy Cat's Paw Lace Wrap. Thanks

·
Registered
173 Posts
thanks so much for alerting me to the pattern - just printed it and it's quite handsome! Also - really appreciate the link to slipping the first stitch purl-wise - that's the edge I've been looking for!!!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
mrleese said:
Thank you so much julielacykntr. I have a pattern that does a slip stich at the beginning and I was not sure why. Now I know. The pattern also says "If you don't want a rolled edge, you can add a few more stitches to the edges and knit them in garter stitch." If I do that, should I also slip the first stich? It is a wrap pattern, Glitzy Cat's Paw Lace Wrap. Thanks
You're welcome! Remember/use the helpful video tutorials on www.youtube.com , www.knittinghelp.com, and other sites. Wish they were there when I started knitting!!
I like the pattern pic but didn't download to look fm Ravelry. Most wraps have sl1, k1 (or k2), YO as beginning edging, then pattern, then last edging (which is then turned) of YO, K1---or K2--or K3 [the last stitch is knitted, then when turned beomes the first stitch which is slipped; edges are equal in stitches. Sorry if detailed but had friend that thought this was an 'extra stitch'...not!
Yes, that would prevent rolling edge, but looking at picture I wouldn't worry much. You may, or may not, need to block with a steam iron. If you do, don't apply iron directly, but hover an inch above and use high steam and burst (this should take care of any rolled edge and set stitches). Have fun! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Thanks so much. In the 20 years I have knitted or crocheted I have never blocked. Is it really necessary? Especially if you wash it. Do you then have to block it again? I thought I would add one or two stitches at each end.

·
Registered
22,470 Posts
You seem to have gotten confused about the Sl stitch. For future, this is a selvage stitch, only at the beginning of the row. Your repeat begins with the *....* You can take this 6 row pattern and easily apply it to any size square or rectangular shape. The repeat is 6 stitches so any multiple of 6 will work then add your border. In this pattern there is only a 1 stitch selvage. For your afghan you might want a wider and distinct border, depending on your design taste. If you want a wider border, for example, a 4st garter stitch, you would eliminate the slip st in the scarf pattern and add 4 st to each end of your row. These 4 stitches would be done in knit on each row. You might want to place markers to call your attention to the border stitches as you work.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom