Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ummmm, what's the difference? I recently got some size 35 needles (holy cow they are big!), I needed a quick birthday present for my friend who requested a scarf. I made her a cowl & she said " I love these infinity scarves". I didn't twist it, not even sure how to do that. I didn't knit it in the round, I sewed it together.She really liked it so I guess that's all that matters.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
you're right, that's all that matters. Cowl, infinity, mobius, these are all neck warmers that come in different sizes!

I know that it turned out beautiful, especially if you used larger needles!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Miss Irene!
ireneofnc said:
you're right, that's all that matters. Cowl, infinity, mobius, these are all neck warmers that come in different sizes!

I know that it turned out beautiful, especially if you used larger needles!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
mmg said:
Ummmm, what's the difference? I recently got some size 35 needles (holy cow they are big!), I needed a quick birthday present for my friend who requested a scarf. I made her a cowl & she said " I love these infinity scarves". I didn't twist it, not even sure how to do that. I didn't knit it in the round, I sewed it together.She really liked it so I guess that's all that matters.
Never used anything that big, my gosh!! (did you take a picture?)

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
If you want something quick. I used size 15 mm needles to make a shawlette and last six rows garter stitch on 10 mm needles. You cast on two stitches and increase each end of the row until you use up nearly two balls of wool and it keeps the neck nice and warm.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Very Quick:
I've been using size 17 needles, a single strand worsted weight yarn which I triple, using the Navajo Knitting technique (learned it here!) and the Mistake Rib pattern to create nice thick, bulky scarves for my daughters and nieces. Makes excellent inroads on the stash and can be made as a scarf, cowl or cowl-with-a-twist.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
3mom,
What I've heard is that a mobius has a half turn/twist to it. If you work flat and seam it you can put a half turn/twist in it. If you twist the stitches when joining and work circular it gives it a whole twist. Tried that with an Annies attic pattern and it wouldn't lay right, frogged it and did it again very carefully doing the join and still got a full twist that would not lay right. Finally got online and discovered what I described above.
Hope that helps explain the differences.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I must respond to this because I knit a lot of cowls.....sometimes I knit them flat and join without a twist..that's my favorite way because the twist comes in when you drape it over your neck and then twist it as you wrap it around your neck again.....and I think a lot of yarns lay better that way rather than having a twist imposed upon them...Even if I knit them in a circle I never twist them....it's a personal preference, but I like them better untwisted....but with all the discussions about true mobius I decided to try it.....I frogged it immediately...it would NOT lay the way I wanted it to...so, there's more than one way to get an effect...do what works for you and your yarn...

Also...I walk thru upscale retailers from time to time to see what"s new..think Saks and Neiman Marcus....and follow favorite designers...there are no mobius cowls there....there ARE infinity rings everywhere....My personal take on this is that infinity rings are here forever....and mobius cowls not so much...of course, as soon as I say that there will be those fabulous exceptions...
julie

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Debiknit said:
3mom,
What I've heard is that a mobius has a half turn/twist to it. If you work flat and seam it you can put a half turn/twist in it. If you twist the stitches when joining and work circular it gives it a whole twist. Tried that with an Annies attic pattern and it wouldn't lay right, frogged it and did it again very carefully doing the join and still got a full twist that would not lay right. Finally got online and discovered what I described above.
Hope that helps explain the differences.
Thanks. I would have done the same thing, you ssaved me a lot of time and work!!!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
john71105 said:
I am doing a mobius cabled scarf that has the same pattern on both sides. I have now knitted up a bit less than one skein of material. I will post a photo of the finished item. It uses silver's pattern http://www.cometosilver.com/patterns/palindrome.htm
I Googled it and still couldn't tell the difference between a mobius and an infinity, except perhaps the length. They both twist. The infinity can be worn in several ways, because of its length, while the mobius is usually shorter, around the neck. Is all this correct or am I still missing something?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom