Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cozy Knitted slippers (make 2)

Babies: Cast on 17 sts.
Children: Cast on 23 sts.
Women: Cast on 29 sts.
Men: Cast on 35 sts.

#8 straight needles, working with 2 strands of knitting worsted throughout.

Instructions are for Women’s slippers. Adjust pattern for other sizes.

Leaving approx. 18” tail of yarn, cast on 29 sts.

Row 1 (wrong side): K9, P1, K9, P1, K9
Row 2 (right side): K all sts.

Repeat these two rows until work measures about half the desired overall length. End by working an outside row, so that inside faces you as you begin toe rows.

Toe Row 1: K1, P1, K1 (Repeat to end)
Toe Row 2: P1, K1, P1 (Repeat to end)

Repeat these two rows of 1x1 ribbing, knitting in the K sts, purling in the P sts each row, until work measures about 1 inch short of desired overall length. End with an inside row, so that outside faces you as you begin decrease rows.

1st Decrease row: Work ribbing for 5 sts, S1, P1, PSSO, twice. Continue in ribbing until 9 sts remain on needle to be worked. K2 together, twice. Finish the remaining 5 sts in ribbing (25 sts).

Next Row: With inside facing you, work across row, knitting in K sts, purling in P sts to maintain smooth ribbing on outside.

2nd Decrease row: Work the same as 1st Decrease Row (21 sts). *

Next Row: With inside facing you, work across row, knitting in K sts, purling in P sts to maintain smooth ribbing on outside.

3rd Decrease row: Work the same as First and Second Decrease rows (17 sts).

Cut yarn, leaving approx. 18 inches of yarn for sewing up slipper. Thread large tapestry or other large blunt needle and thread through all stitches remaining on the needle, starting at opposite end from where stitches ended. Pull up tight to gather toe. Knot securely and then sew up top of slipper evenly to first or second set of ridges at instep. Knot securely. Weave in loose ends.

Using yarn left at beginning, thread needle and sew up heel. Knot securely and weave in loose ends. Add pom-pom or decoration, if desired.

*NOTE: You may end babies’ and children’s slippers after second decrease row at toe. Ladies’ and men’s slippers need the third decrease row so the toe doesn’t bunch up.

(A hand-written copy of this pattern was given to me by a friend in the 70s. I do not know the origin.)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Thank you for posting this pattern. It's my favorite, I have made dozens of these slippers :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
These are the slippers I learned to knit in the sixties!! Now I make them with three strands of yarn on a size 13 or 15 needle. They work up fast and are warmer and thicker!

The decrease rows I learned are different, and there is a row in between where you purl three in a row right where you decreased the row before. The pattern I found online, it is called Grandma's Slippers or Aunt Maggies or something like that. Then I modified it to accomodate the three yarns. A group of us knit slippers for chemo patients, and we have to be able to knit them fast, that is why the large needles and three yarns.
If I can find the pattern I like the best, I will post it here, right now it is lost!
A good day to all, Julie

·
Registered
188 Posts
My grandmother always made these slippers with phentex yarn. She would make them every member of the family and friends as well. She passed away six years ago but I still wear pair she me and every time I wear them I think of her.

Thanks for sharing the pattern. Now I can make them and keep the tradition alive in my family! :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
You will like these slippers and they are easy to knit. I have been knitting them since the early '50s. I will suggest one thing---my pattern said to knit from row 1 to the beginning of the instep, then change to the rest of the pattern until you have the length needed, the pull the toe together and knot it. Also I used two strains of yarn. Have a fun time.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Wow. Thanks for the memories. When my Grandmother taught me to knit, this was one of the first "real" patterns she taught me. I had lost the written pattern years ago. I'm so glad to have it again! Thanks again :)

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
arbranson said:
You will like these slippers and they are easy to knit. I have been knitting them since the early '50s. I will suggest one thing---my pattern said to knit from row 1 to the beginning of the instep, then change to the rest of the pattern until you have the length needed, the pull the toe together and knot it. Also I used two strains of yarn. Have a fun time.
I think this pattern changes about halfway along the length of the foot, which is probably about the same, and also calls for the use of two strangs of yarn.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Two Rivers Julie said:
These are the slippers I learned to knit in the sixties!! Now I make them with three strands of yarn on a size 13 or 15 needle. They work up fast and are warmer and thicker!

The decrease rows I learned are different, and there is a row in between where you purl three in a row right where you decreased the row before. The pattern I found online, it is called Grandma's Slippers or Aunt Maggies or something like that. Then I modified it to accomodate the three yarns. A group of us knit slippers for chemo patients, and we have to be able to knit them fast, that is why the large needles and three yarns.
If I can find the pattern I like the best, I will post it here, right now it is lost!
A good day to all, Julie
I have never tried them with 3 strands of yarn nor with the bigger needles. There ARE 3 purl stitches in the row after the decrease row, which correspond with the decreases of the previous row. The instructions for those rows say to "Knit in all K sts and Purl in all P stitches" and that results in 3 Purl stitches in a row (two times along the row. :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom