Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, is anyone else having trouble with slow craft fair sales? They are well advertised and well located, but sales are way down at the past 3 shows I have setup for. Any ideas or suggestions? My prices are more than competitive and I have small to medium size and priced items.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I don't really have an answer for you. I would think in Wasilla, Alaska hats, scarves, mittens, etc. would sell well.

I know when I wear any of the scarves I've knitted or the jacket my dear, dear friend (notice how I'm putting the icing on the cake) made for me, people are always asking, "would you make me one". Put a price on it, and they aren't willing to pay a reasonable price.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
It's the same in Scotland. Think it's symptomatic of the world economic situation and also an effect of the internet.

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
We did well at our shows this year. Cut back significantly on the number though due to time constraints. One thing I've learned over the years is to avoid bona fide "craft shows" like the plague. People come to look and get ideas for themselves and not buy in general has been my experience. We stick to the fall "festivals", i.e., Apple Festivals, Harvest Fesivals, Chili Cookoffs and the like and have had wonderful success.

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
I have noticed the same thing in NY. Always well advertised, but the other churches also seem to be not doing well at the fairs. We are just trying to keep our doors open. Our Thanksgiving/Christmas Fair has been steadily decreasing, no matter what we try. Part of it may be the economy, but for our particular area, there is such a change in cultural and ethnic populations and they, of course, do not have the same interests as we do. We had hoped that the interest in well made items would not change. But that is not the case. There are now many people who want to bargain every single price, even if it is 25 cents. Enough already! I remind them that this is a fundraiser for the church and that the items are already discounted. Sadly, changing times. I guess we have to change with the times.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Hang up a made in America sign. Diane sawyer says if you buy $64 dollars worth of made in America goods this holiday season; you have created a job for an American. She has issued a challenge to america

·
Registered
496 Posts
My shows this year have actually done better. I did really work on my displays to improve visibility. I have a half torso w a shawl displayed, a hand model w fingerless mitts, & a couple of heads for hats/scarfs. People seemed more attracted to my booth when they can actually see the items this way rather than just laying on a table. It sort off brings them to life. I also have hanging display system (rather than items laying on a table. That way they are more visible from more directionss as people walk through. It was worth the small investments in these items, add I pretty much doubled my sales & had several people tell me that my both had the best display at the shows. I leave it this way in my craft room during the year. Helps me see what I have for inventory our to show family/friends when they ask what I've been knitting. Also easy to find an item when I sell it on Etsy, rather than having to shuffle through plastics bins like I use to.
I always wear a nice shawl or scarf & fingerless mitts to a show & have a knitting project going so they can see you knitting. Only problem is that I get a lot of requests for knitting lessons, which I do not do but can refer them to lys that do.
I think more & mores people do their shopping on the internet.

·
Registered
55,981 Posts
StellasKnits said:
We did well at our shows this year. Cut back significantly on the number though due to time constraints. One thing I've learned over the years is to avoid bona fide "craft shows" like the plague. People come to look and get ideas for themselves and not buy in general has been my experience. We stick to the fall "festivals", i.e., Apple Festivals, Harvest Fesivals, Chili Cookoffs and the like and have had wonderful success.
Interesting, thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
Excellent ideas. I did get a torso to display the ruffled scarves. It does look more attractive. The problem will be displaying the afghans. But as someone else suggested, if the colors are not attractive, they probably won't sell. And that is OK because we will then donate them to the veterans hospital. We also make things specifically for the veterans hospital. They seem to enjoy that.

We are always looking for more ideas for things to make for the veterans hospital. So if anyone has other suggestions, please let me know. I thank all of you in advance.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I just did two different shows. First one sold fingerless gloves and scarves. Second one didn't sell any fingerless gloves at all but did sell a lot of hats. I had people stop and look at my baby sweaters and tell me how beautiful they were etc etc and then to put the icing on this cake.....one woman asked me me how I could compete with CHINA!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
BevBaudo said:
Excellent ideas. I did get a torso to display the ruffled scarves. It does look more attractive. The problem will be displaying the afghans. But as someone else suggested, if the colors are not attractive, they probably won't sell. And that is OK because we will then donate them to the veterans hospital. We also make things specifically for the veterans hospital. They seem to enjoy that.

We are always looking for more ideas for things to make for the veterans hospital. So if anyone has other suggestions, please let me know. I thank all of you in advance.
I am reading this subject- and may i suggest to display afghans on a ladder system? maybe a ladder leaning against a wall or a free standing ladder? fold and hang afghans on the rungs??

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
On the afghans, if you have a tent, etc. string a clothesline and put the afghans on hangers. But the comments everyone is hearing are the same ones I last heard when I was doing several shows a year 20 years ago. And, then the other comment was that "my grandma can make this for me."

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom