Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Creamed Brussels Sprouts with Chestnuts ~ Serves 6 - 8
Prep 20 mins ~ Total time 20 mins

Sprouts are a once-a-year veg for some, but this method of shredding, stir-frying and adding cream may mean they become a regular event

Ingredients
25g butter
3 shallots, finely sliced
400g Brussels sprouts, shredded
100g cooked chestnuts, crumbled
150ml double cream
a pinch of ground nutmeg or mace
a squeeze of lemon juice

Directions
Melt the butter in a frying pan or large saucepan. Add the shallots and a pinch of salt and cook for 5 minutes over a medium heat until starting to soften.
Increase the heat, add the shredded sprouts, chestnuts and a pinch of salt; stir-fry for 5 minutes until bright green.
Add 200ml of water and cook until the liquid has evaporated and the sprouts are tender but still have a bit of bite.**

Get ahead ~ Prep to the end of **. Cool, cover and chill. Reheat with a splash of water and continue from ***.

***Pour in the cream and add a little nutmeg or mace; bubble and stir to combine. Remove from the heat and add a squeeze of lemon juice and seasoning.

Nutritional information (per serving) ~ Calories 225Kcal; Fat 18gr; Saturates 11gr; Carbs 9gr; Sugars 4gr; Fibre 5gr; Protein 3gr; Salt 0.1gr

Attachments

Registered
I love sprouts in a stir fry, either sliced or quartered. I especially like the mix of sprouts, chestnut mushrooms and either onion or leek and use whatever spice/herbs/flavours I think fit best with whatever else I add and what I fancy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom