Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm making a sweater with two kinds of yarn, with slightly different gauges (almost finished with body, and about to start sleeves). The body is one yarn, and the sleeves and trim will be the other. I'm thinking I'll sew it together and then create one piece that has the bottom ribbing, front placket, and collar band in the second yarn. I would think seed stitch will work for the front plackets, but what stitch would work best for the ribbing (considering it will be worked "sideways") and collar band? How best to turn the corners at the top and bottom of the plackets? Or should I just do it in four pieces (bottom, collar, and plackets)?

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have a cardigan where all the "ribbing" (sleeve ends, bottom, button band, collar) are done in seed stitch. It looks very nice.
You can do a knit row, purl row, purl row, knit row to get a sort of k2p2 rib look when finished.
If you want it all one piece, I would try short rows at the corners to give it a curve with enough give to go around the corner.

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
knitterbee said:
I have a cardigan where all the "ribbing" (sleeve ends, bottom, button band, collar) are done in seed stitch. It looks very nice.
You can do a knit row, purl row, purl row, knit row to get a sort of k2p2 rib look when finished.
If you want it all one piece, I would try short rows at the corners to give it a curve with enough give to go around the corner.
May I suggest you seed stitch the bottom and front edges at the same time using a mitre at the 2 front corners. There's a great how-to video on Utube. Then pick up the collar and work stocking rows, more seed st, or the pattern of your choice, ending with the seed st.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom