Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience in working with merino wool roving to make yarn? I don't have a spinning wheel but I did make a spinning "thing" from a dowel and used CD's. However I've not had ANY luck or fun yet. I've watrched several youtube segments and they make it look easy but I've got no idea what I'm doing wrong. I'd appreciate lots of great advice and encouragement!!! In advance ... thanks a million!!!!!!

·
Registered
18,277 Posts
The best thing for you to do is buy a book that will explain it to you in detail,as then you will be able to see what you are doing i can tell you how to start.Tie a piece of yarn about twenty inches long just above the whorl and wind around the shaft three or four times then bring the yarn back up to form a half hitch around the top so that it is held securely,gently open the ends of the yarn lead so that it will catch and hold the loose fiber you want to spin
let the rolag lie over the back of your left hand then it is out of the way,hold the joined pieces together in your left thumb and fore finger raise your arm so the spindle lies on top of the table.With your right hand give thetop of the spindle a quick clockwise turn and hopefully that will help get you started.GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
A DVD is probably available or check with a yarn shop and see if anyone there can help you. It is trickier (at least for me) than using a spinning wheel. But believe it or not this is how all thread was made before spinning wheels were invented. Oh and maybe there is a spinning guild in your city or county.

·
Registered
203 Posts
You might want to try the book or DVD titled "Respect the Spindle" by Abby Franquemont. If you are near any of the Fiber Festivals that go on during the year they give many classes or I'm sure someone would be around you could "ask" to show you. I have a couple of drop spindles, but I do prefer my wheel. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
The secret is to not give up....it takes time to get the rhythm of spinning whether it's on a drop spindle or wheel. Once you get it you'll be happy you stuck with it. You can product some incredible yarn. "Respect the Spindle" is a great book and DVD. Good luck!

·
Registered
22,990 Posts
"Respect the Spindle," by Abby Franquemont (I hope I spelled that correctly) is SUCH a help when you're a beginning spindle spinner. It's a great book.

Of course, the best way to learn to spin is by watching someone. Spinning Daily--you might want to Google this--has online courses on spinning with a hand spindle. Also, check thefiberofmybeing.com. She teaches classes on spindle spinning via Skype. I took a class with her and was thrilled to learn how to spin cotton.

Good luck! Spinning is difficult at first, but once you get it, you've really got it, and you'll want to spin and spin.

Hazel

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know a lot of people have great success with the home made drop spindles made from the cd/dowel, but when I first started spinning on a spindle I found that I needed more weight in the spindle. there are different sizes and weights of spindles for the different weights of yarn you want to make. pre drafting your material also helps when your learning how to spin, less to worry about doing all at once. YouTube was my best friend and a great resource when I started as well. Good luck and keep at it, just 15 minutes a day can help you build up the necessary muscle memory to be a pro in no time.

·
Registered
22,990 Posts
kimberknit said:
I know a lot of people have great success with the home made drop spindles made from the cd/dowel, but when I first started spinning on a spindle I found that I needed more weight in the spindle. there are different sizes and weights of spindles for the different weights of yarn you want to make. pre drafting your material also helps when your learning how to spin, less to worry about doing all at once. YouTube was my best friend and a great resource when I started as well. Good luck and keep at it, just 15 minutes a day can help you build up the necessary muscle memory to be a pro in no time.
Kimberknit is definitely correct. Just practice 15 minutes per day, and you will be amazed that one day, you will simply "get it." From there, spinning will seem easy and relaxing to you.

I'm a beginning spindle spinner myself, and that 15-minutes-per-day of practice has helped me immensely.

Hazel

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Abby has several videos on YouTube which are parts of her Respect The Spindle video and you can learn a lot from her. The cd spindle will work pretty well, I think you need two cds to add weight to it or if you have a hobby store or a Joann's close by invest in a toy wooden wheel, a dowel to fit the center and a very small cup hook for the top. You can put a grommet under the wheel and try it both top or bottom whorl but I think top whorl is easier for a beginner. You will need the roving drafted out some and see where your staple length is. Merino is a little difficult for a first time spinner either wheel or drop. You might want to do the park and draft for awhile make a leader and if it is a top whorl make a slip knot on the end and slide it under the whorl and bring it up over the whorl to the hook. Take some of the roving that you have loosened up and hold it laying over the end of the leader a few inches and spin the spindle clockwise and draft some of the fiber out making sure the fiber has twisted around the leader pinch the fiber about an arms length from the spindle and stop and hold the spindle and watch the fiber twist up to your pinched fingers don't let it go up past the drafting zone area, take it off the hook wind it below the whorl and bring some of the twisted fiber back up and hook it again to repeat. The nice thing about spindle spinning is that you can take the too much twist out of the fiber easier than on a wheel. There are several spindle spinning groups on Ravelry with very nice people to help you there also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom