Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok have a random question for you!!

when you crochet which hand do you use?

even though im left handed for writing etc i actually crochet with my right and have very good tension.

just wondered what everyone else does :)

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Left-handed and I crochet left-handed but I knit right-handed which is how my father taught me and even though I do most things left-handed my left hand can not use the computer mouse.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I am left handed in all thing but knitting - my grandma tried to teach me left handed and then thought I could just learn right handed as both hands are used - my right hand just cannot learn to crochet. I crochet left handed enough to get by but I do not try to read/change intricate patterns.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
hold hook in right but people laugh at the way I hold it,kind of like holding a melon baller.lol for real but I have been crocheting since the 50's so if it works don't fix it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I am right handed but have done more crocheting than knitting, but hold both yarns in left hand. Hold hook like a fork/pencil. Years ago a left handed lady wanted to learn to knit in the worst way. She was always told a left handed person can't learn to knit.
I taught her contenental knitting and to hold the yarn with the left hand like she would if crocheting. She liked it that the left hand did the tension. She made a doll sweater and when it came to the back of the sweater where she had to crochet and read the directions over the phone to me, I knew it was crochet. I asked her to come to my house. It would take longer to drive over than to teach her. I asked her if she wanted right or left, explaining that she already knew how to hold the thread and keep tension with left. She agreed right would be the way to go. She learned in less than 10 minutes. She was good with crafts so had no problems.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I am like nBaker. I am right handed and hold the crochet hook in my right hand, but I hold it like a hammer as well. This just always seemed right to me. When I saw others crocheting, I always thought to myself that it looked awkward how they are holding the hook. I now know that it was not awkward to them and that everyone has their own method.

I crocheted before learning to knit. I had a very hard time learning to knit, but I was determined to do so. I started out throwing the yarn (English method?), but my stitches looked awful and I never felt comfortable with it. So I decided to try the Continental method, which I hold the yarn in my left hand (just like I do for crochet). I watched videos on YouTube and picked up on this much quicker.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I am left handed as hold the crochet hook in my right hand-- but I tend to put more movement into my left hand in moving the fabric around the needle than most crochetters.... Also, I hold my needle at an upward slanting angle... Ima weirdo.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nocturnal said:
I am left handed as hold the crochet hook in my right hand-- but I tend to put more movement into my left hand in moving the fabric around the needle than most crochetters.... Also, I hold my needle at an upward slanting angle... Ima weirdo.
aww wow thats the same as me!! :)

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
This is exactly my situation, down to the computer mouse! Except I am a self-taught knitter and crocheter.
elsienicholls said:
Left-handed and I crochet left-handed but I knit right-handed which is how my father taught me and even though I do most things left-handed my left hand can not use the computer mouse.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom