Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pattern reads: Round 11: Ch 3, 1 dc in next 5 stitches, *dc decrease in next two stitches, 1 dc in next 6 stitches, etc....

my question.....does it mean that I work the decrease the next stitch or that i do a decrease in the Next Two stitches! making two decreases versus just one decrease?

appreciate any responses...ty in advance!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so sorry but i do not have the link...it is for a slouch hat that i am crocheting and i just did a copy/paste for the pattern.......this is the first row of decreasing! i began to do the dc decrease in next two stitches as it said but then that actually gives me two decreases but could they mean just one decrease that is "worked" over the next two stitches? do you get my dilemma? In the very beginning of the pattern, they do describe how to do the decrease and it is done over two stitches, which is fairly standard, and since it is for 'beginner's', perhaps they are oversimplifying or am I overcomplicating? :shock:

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
My opinion: you are decreasing by 1 stitch so you join the next two dc with 1 dc then proceed with next 6, etc.

Ususally the dec are spread through the row when working on a hat. If they listed a stitch count at the end of the row, you can double check.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, unfortunately, they do not give a stitch count at end of row or i coulda worked backwards to figure it out! I know HOW to work the decrease....just not sure if they want two decreases at that point or one! Guess I will just work with one and see how it goes!

bsaito said:
My opinion: you are decreasing by 1 stitch so you join the next two dc with 1 dc then proceed with next 6, etc.

Ususally the dec are spread through the row when working on a hat. If they listed a stitch count at the end of the row, you can double check.

·
Banned
23,386 Posts
Pattern reads:
Round 11:
Ch 3,
1 dc in next 5 stitches,
*dc decrease in next two stitches, --Do a double decrease here once (will take the following two stitches to complete it.)
1 dc in next 6 stitches,
etc....
You repeat from* to the end of the row/round.
So how many actual decrease sets you will have will depend on how many stitches you are working on that row/round.
At least that is how I read it.

RitaIndy said:
No, unfortunately, they do not give a stitch count at end of row or i coulda worked backwards to figure it out! I know HOW to work the decrease....just not sure if they want two decreases at that point or one! Guess I will just work with one and see how it goes!

bsaito said:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies, you are all very generous! It has occurred to me that had I NOT made any errors thus far, my round would work out evenly or not but because of a few errors, I cannot use that as a guideline! Live and learn....never too old! Will do the one decrease over two stitches and will let you all know ( should tell from the size of this 'slouch' ) what worked! This was only being used as a sample pattern anyway.....not even yarn of my choice but scrap to see how it would turn out....! NEXT time, I will get it right ( i hope! ) have a great day all!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
RitaIndy said:
so sorry but i do not have the link...it is for a slouch hat that i am crocheting and i just did a copy/paste for the pattern.......this is the first row of decreasing! i began to do the dc decrease in next two stitches as it said but then that actually gives me two decreases but could they mean just one decrease that is "worked" over the next two stitches? do you get my dilemma? In the very beginning of the pattern, they do describe how to do the decrease and it is done over two stitches, which is fairly standard, and since it is for 'beginner's', perhaps they are oversimplifying or am I over complicating? :shock:
Well, let's use the logic of knitting/crochet knowledge here. If it is a hat you have regular decreases up the crown of the hat. More decreases as you get nearer to the center of the hat. Less out at the outer edge. and if it is one stitch decrease at a time on this row then you would use up 8 stitches per repeat. so count the stitches that you have left and divide them by 8 and see if it comes out to a nice even number that makes sense with the pattern. if it was a double decrease that would make 10 stitches used up. I also compare the look of my work with the picture that is usually provide of the finished item. If they don't match up I redo my work. This of course is all my own craft logic.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
RitaIndy said:
Pattern reads: Round 11: Ch 3, 1 dc in next 5 stitches, *dc decrease in next two stitches, 1 dc in next 6 stitches, etc....

my question.....does it mean that I work the decrease the next stitch or that i do a decrease in the Next Two stitches! making two decreases versus just one decrease?

The way I read it:
One decrease is what they mean on this round.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Can I just say, as a designer, it is so hard to guess what people will read into a pattern. Do you just say do a decrease and hope that people know it will lose one stitch or do you have to tell people that they will be using up 2 sts from the row to make a decrease of 1?

I've done it both ways and had people question it no matter what.

·
Registered
552 Posts
OK - I'm a crocheter for 45+ years. When it says dec over the next 2 stitches it means that the next 2 stitches will then equal one. I dc dec this way:

YO, insert hook in first stitch and draw up a loop and pull through. YO and go through 2 loops. Move on to next stitch (there are still 2 loops on your hook) Now, YO, insert hook and draw up a loop through that next stitch and pull through. YO and go through 2 loops, YO and go through all 3 loops on hook. Voila! 2 DC just became 1.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hello Everyone,
I must say you are all so helpful, it is great to be part of KP!! May we hear/see how your hat turns out?
Colleen
galaxycraft said:
I did a search for crochet double decrease.
Am just posting the first one that came up.
Have a look.
This will tell you how to do the decreases.

http://www.anniesattic.com/crochet/content.html?content_id=457

A double decrease is worked over two stitches.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
RitaIndy said:

No, it means you work 2DC Together over the next 2 stitches.
To do this, you work all but the last movement of a DC into each of the next 2 stitches, then you YO and pull through all the loops on the hook.
Hope this helps.
Have fun.
Colleen

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom