Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
fp stands for front post. You make a double crochet by putting your hook behind the post of the stitch below rather than in the top of the stitch. You should be able to google "front post double crochet" to find a video.

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Nanjoall said:
I have not been able to find any explanation for the direction abbreviation in a crochet pattern for a hat I am making. It says fpdc. I know what dc is but what does fp mean? Thanks
Front Post Double Crochet. Look for an instructional video on youtube and you'll see that it is quite simple to do but makes a great fabric. Ah, I've just seen that others have given you the info. FPDC and BPDC are valuable stitches to learn and you'll see why as you progress with your crocheting.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
It is front post ounce crochet. You place your hook around the post of the row or
Two below and di a double crochet. Gives a nice textured look to your work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone, I made the hat it turned out great! I have crocheted for years but never came across the fb front post before. Sometimes I think the directions on these yarn packages could be a little clearer. I ripped out the first five or six rows numerous times before I finally got it right and from then on it was smooth sailing.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Nanjoall said:
Thanks everyone, I made the hat it turned out great! I have crocheted for years but never came across the fb front post before. Sometimes I think the directions on these yarn packages could be a little clearer. I ripped out the first five or six rows numerous times before I finally got it right and from then on it was smooth sailing.
i agree. It's like a foreign language sometimes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom