Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to crochet wedding dresses for the fashion dolls, such as Barbie, using size 10 crochet thread. Is this a hard project to take on? I am a bit tired of making shawls and sweaters and want to try something else. BTW, how does one make a doll stand? I have seen some of the videos on the internet, and tried one with wire. The first thing I did was jab the end of the wire into one of my fingers. Is there a better way?

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
First off I think you will have fun crocheting the dresses with the #10 thread.. as for doll stands you will either need to be very handy and creative or just go and pick one up... the prices vary.. I picked up a lot of them several years back but I couldn't tell you how much they cost... I would think any craft store or even craft section of a store would have one... I don't know where your at but my drug store has them... I collect dolls so I like the nice wooden based ones.. I have some that never show and they are very cheap..

·
Registered
33 Posts
I used to crochet for fashion dolls. I found Patterns in "Crohet World" that were really cute. I also made clothes for the seven and a half inch baby dolls. I made several outfits and now I can't get these baby dolls anymore! I don't know what to do with all these little outfits. Maybe the dolls will come back someday.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Here are a few of the dresses I made for Barbie back in the late 80's. They were really fun to make.
Sorry the pics are sideways. They are the right way on my computer. This is the first time I have posted pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks. I really enjoyed doing them. I want to make some bed dolls. Have some that are really elegant.
These were in some books I had. A lot of my books came from Annie's Attic, also did some dresses from Crochet World. I think the dresses above is from an out of print booklet. Search the net. I know there are plenty of patterns on crochet pattern central. Have a section for Barbie.

·
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was able to find a couple patterns for Barbie gowns online. I saw photos of two I would like to have but can't get them, and can't find a place to buy them. One is a blue gown with skirt made in a shell stitch, and the other has a gorgeous skirt made in the pineapple pattern. Last night I found, on Amazon, the doll stands especially for fashion dolls, and placed an order. I did make one dress by using a standart bodice pattern, then made my own pattern for the rest of the dress. It doesn't look too bad.

·
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Apparently those patterns are no longer available, long gone. There used to be, a few years ago, patterns for Barbie clothes everywhere. Now, they are so hard to find, or prices are sky high. I do love your photos, but have no hopes of ever finding the patterns for them. The Barbie doll, or any fashion doll, is also hard to find without a high price. In the nearest big city to my home, about 58 miles away, is a new Hobby Lobby store that just opened. For a hobby shop, they have no dolls, no doll pattern books, no nothing. I was very surprised at this.

·
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You are so fortunate to have so many. Do you plan to make clothes for them? Many years ago, I sewed clothes for dolls I got from thrift stores to give to charity. After I learned to knit and crochet, I preferred that. Nowadays, I have a hard time finding the dolls.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom