Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working the sleeves on the Side To Side Jacket by Plymouth Yarn Co.
The directions say:
With right side facing and beginning at the center of the underarm, ch 2 and work a hdc into 3 stitches, then in every stitch around the armhole. Skip over the shoulder seam, and work 4 hdcs to the center of the underarm.

I don't understand the part "work a hdc into 3 stitches" - isn't this just like doing a hdc in each stitch? The same with the part " work 4 hdcs to the center ...".
I'm hoping someone can help me understand. Thanks to everyone who can clarify these directions.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
kathlam said:
The directions say:
With right side facing and beginning at the center of the underarm, ch 2 and work a hdc into 3 stitches, then in every stitch around the armhole. Skip over the shoulder seam, and work 4 hdcs to the center of the underarm.

I don't understand the part "work a hdc into 3 stitches" - isn't this just like doing a hdc in each stitch? The same with the part " work 4 hdcs to the center ...".
I'm hoping someone can help me understand. Thanks to everyone who can clarify these directions.
I agree that the instructions aren't clear! Chriso1972 may well be correct that you are meant to make a decrease over 3 stitches, but that isn't what the pattern says to me. Also I don't understand the "work 4 hdcs to the centre".

I've checked on ravelry, and it seems that someone else had the same problem - she said she was "stymied with the underarm" but hasn't posted anything else, and may well have a UFO on her hands! perhaps the instructions for the next row might make things a bit clearer?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
kathlam said:
The directions say:

Did the pattern say how many sts you should have after you have done all that?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Gosh, it's not easy to help without the pattern. Maybe you should take the pattern to your LYS and ask for help there, the 3 hdc part one can interpret as a decrease, or 3 hdc in next 3 sts, but the part where it says to skip the shoulder seam and to just work 4 hdc's to the center of the underarm, that doesn't sound right to me, you will be gathering half of the sleeve. The cardigan you're working on is for a grown woman from the picture I saw, I can't see how only 4 hdc's in one half of the sleeve will work.

I found an "errata" for the pattern on the link below: not that it will help with the sleeves!!!!

https://www.plymouthyarn.com/000111 (highlight link, right-click, then click "go to...........)

:cry:

·
Registered
3,811 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was able to contact the designer of this sweater. I was impressed that she replied back within a few hours (she was even to vacation at the time). After corresponding back and forth with Q & A's, I finally got clarification. Are you ready for this? All those instructions meant was to do hdc's all around the armhole. Wow, I wonder how many others struggled trying to understand that section of instructions.
Oh we'll, on to finishing the sweater.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Glad you got the help you needed........so, back to crocheting you go!!!! :thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom