Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just learning how to crochet after being a knitter for over 50 years. It has been a bit of a slow process as I crochet left handed, but with the help of on line tutorials and a lot of patient practice I am making progress. In a basic crocheted article like a scarf or blanket that is done in the same stitch, is there a right and wrong side? To me, it looks the same. I am making a crocheted baby blanket in double crochet( Australian version) but using 2 strands of yarn and a size 8.00 crochet hook as per the pattern( I believe this stitch is called something different in the US??). My work looks like the photo in the pattern and both sides look the same. I was just wondering if basic crochet does have a right and "wrong" side as knitting does...not that it really matters, I suppose. Or is it the same as garter stitch whereby both sides look the same?

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
It depends on whether you go through the back loop, front loop, or both - sometimes the pattern will decide for you - look at the crocheted flower patterns.

·
Banned
23,386 Posts
With basic crochet stitches, the result is the same on both sides.
If the pattern states for example that Row 1 is the right side,
just mark that side with a piece of scrap yarn looped through the front loop of a chain
to give you reference while you complete the item.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your replies. The pattern does not specify the first row as being the "right side", each row is simply a row of double crochet, done into the front loop only. Even this term is new to me, but I am just really finding my way with the crochet terms. It certainly looks neat enough and I reckon if I am consistent in my stitch count and do each one the same way, the finished article will be ok. As with any new task, practice makes perfect.

·
Premium Member
81,186 Posts
myroxi said:
Thank you for your replies. The pattern does not specify the first row as being the "right side", each row is simply a row of double crochet, done into the front loop only. Even this term is new to me, but I am just really finding my way with the crochet terms. It certainly looks neat enough and I reckon if I am consistent in my stitch count and do each one the same way, the finished article will be ok. As with any new task, practice makes perfect.
:thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Most patterns have an RS for right side, funny yours doesn't. I too go by which side the cast on "tail" is on. Good Luck, crocheting supposedly takes more yarn than knitting, but I think you'll like it. I much prefer crochet; come to think of it, we don't have enough crochet questions and answers here!! Not "dissing" knitting, just crochet more.

·
Registered
397 Posts
yep like the others the side you for me is the right side....I must tell you when doing a granny square, you can see a big difference from the right side, wrong side...as well as motifs and more complicated stitches. I love to crochet and always take a break from knitting when my hands begin to hurt. Good
luck!

·
Registered
538 Posts
galaxycraft said:
With basic crochet stitches, the result is the same on both sides.
If the pattern states for example that Row 1 is the right side,
just mark that side with a piece of scrap yarn looped through the front loop of a chain
to give you reference while you complete the item.
Having crochet for more years then knitting there is no right
or wrong side as you do not turn it over. Most patterns are done in the round .
Bell

·
Registered
40 Posts
There is usually no visible difference between rs and ws of crochet, that's what makes it wonderful! Of course there are exceptions, but anything in a basic stitch or pattern should be lokking the same. Differences would be noticeable on anything that is made from the right side only, eg flowers, granny motifs, etc.

·
Premium Member
81,186 Posts
Umm ... to those who state that granny squares are only worked from the right side, that's not necessarily so. There are some folks who actually turn at the end of the round and work from both sides when making a granny square. Doing that makes it reversible!

@Bell, no, your statement "Most (crochet) patterns are done in the round." is not correct. It is mostly a true statement about patterns worked from the center - such as doilies. However, there are innumerable patterns that are worked back and forth and never in the round - such as cardigans, blankets, etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom