Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching sites, but cannot find out what a sliding circle is in crochet. I have a feeling I'm going to feel really goofy when someone tells me. I'm and old knitter, but new to crochet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think you may be referring to 'magic' ring or magic loop in crochet. Instead of crocheting chains & joining to make the foundation ring, you make a circle with the yarn and then crochet into and around the circle and then pull on the end to tighten it up. If you google crochet magic ring you should find some tutorials.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
garlicginger said:
Stated simply, - it's a slip knot. You leave the loop large, crochet your first round into it, then close it by pulling on the "tail". Very handy way of beginning a doily, hat, or anything made in a circle.
I was wondering too. This makes it simple.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Be sure to take time to get the yarn, threads correct in the circle, or you won't be able to pull it tightly, and have to redo it again, and again. Experience tells here I guess, had trouble and better now.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sammi said:
Be sure to take time to get the yarn, threads correct in the circle, or you won't be able to pull it tightly, and have to redo it again, and again. Experience tells here I guess, had trouble and better now.
Thanks for the warning. Sounds like something I will run into. I have a learning curve for many things like this.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It took me a while to get to grips with the magic circle/magic ring, but now it's second nature. Just find a good video and follow along. It gives a much nicer finish by making the hole in the center smaller although, if you do find it a struggle, you can still use the regular method. :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What I really need right now is something simple just to keep my fingers busy. I'm a 24/7 caretaker and don't have lots and lots of time, but it helps me to keep fidgeting when it gets quieter around here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom