Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given some rather thick crochet thread awhile back and I knit it up into hats for other cancer patients while I was going through chemo myself. I wanted to get some more but I only have catalogues and the internet for buying it. My question is....which is thicker the #3 or the #10?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
The smaller the number, the thicker the thread. Just remember that sentence and you can't go wrong with any type of crochet thread.

·
Registered
15,145 Posts
If you still have some of the thread that you were using take it shopping.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crochet_thread

There are 3 pictures of items there that were done with size 3, 10 and 20 thread.

Crochet thread comes in sizes from 3 to 100, although historically it came in much finer sizes, down to 200. Diameter is inversely proportional to number, so size 3 is nearly as thick as yarn and size 100 is as fine as sewing thread. Thread may also be categorized by number of plies and size 10 thread is known as bedspread weight. Smaller sizes (40 and up) are rarely used anymore.

·
Registered
15,145 Posts
Embroidery thread
Perle cotton, pearl cotton, or French coton perlé is an S-twisted, 2-ply thread with high sheen, sold in five sizes or weights (No. 3, 5, 8, 12 and 16 (Finca)-- the smaller the number the thicker the thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom