Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
May I suggest you make a mini version then just multiply the amount of yarn you used for that mini version by the amount of times that mini version would fit into the area 60" x50".
If you crocheted a square 5"x5" you would need 120 squares to give you an area of 60" x50" (12 across and 10 down). So if you make a square 5"x5", weight it in grms and then multiply that weight by 120 you will get the total weight of yarn needed. Or you could just pull out the test square and measure the yarn used.

·
Registered
12,067 Posts
Since yarn usage depends on the way you crochet and the stitch you're using, I agree with purdeygirl. Myself, I just buy no dye lot yarn, so in case I run out, I can get more. I usually overbuy in the first place, and have some extra. I've made many afghans of my own design, without ever weighing the swatch and calculating how much yarn I should need.

·
Registered
10 Posts
fergablu2 said:
Since yarn usage depends on the way you crochet and the stitch you're using, I agree with purdeygirl. Myself, I just buy no dye lot yarn, so in case I run out, I can get more. I usually overbuy in the first place, and have some extra. I've made many afghans of my own design, without ever weighing the swatch and calculating how much yarn I should need.
Same here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom