Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you thank you!! Everyone on here is always so helpful. I wish I could find a live person that could help me! I have a TERRIBLE time with my slip stitch! It is always messy or cant tell what I am doing with it or it twists if it is a long chain...heading to YouTube on that one I think!
Thanks again for your site reference. There are tons of them.
Carolyn

·
Registered
861 Posts
oregoncaro said:
Does anyone have any simple patterns for Port Holders? I am a beginner and I want to make some for my great niece. Thanks
OregonCaro aka Carolyn
Go to search at the top of this forum and type in Crochet Pot Holder. You might find something there.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
oregoncaro said:
Thats a great idea! oes it have to be cotton thread?
Carolyn
If you use acrylic, the heat of a pot could melt it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have crocheted hotpads out of regular worsted weight acrylic yarn and have never had a problem with melting, even with the pan taken directly from the oven or stove. I like the crochet one where you chain, then single crochet around both sides, then it kinda folds in half to form a square that looks to be crocheted on the diagonal. It was very simple. I gotta look to see where I found directions.
Tammy

·
Registered
688 Posts
MoreToDo said:
The pattren for the diagonal hot pad can be found on http://www.mielkesfarm.com/diagonal_hotpad.htm I have made a few using acrylic yarn and they have been fine. In fact I still have a few that my Mom made and that was years ago.
This is the easiest and best pot holder I have ever made. I do use only the cotton yarn though. Some acrylic yarns do melt. Plus with the cotton, when they are washed they shrink enough to make them thicker. More protection from the heat. I have been known to make them a little bigger because they shrink.
Have fun. This last Christmas I made two potholders, two knitted dishclothes and two crocheted scrubbies for gifts. They loved them. My sister sold over 20 sets.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I've never had any problems with acrylic yarn. I use my own pattern with 4-ply worsted weight (or 2 strands of lighter weight yarn):
Foundation: ch 25
Row 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook then each ch across (24 sc)ch 1 turn
Row 2-24: sc in each sc
Fasaten off after row 24.
Make 2 of these squares. Fit them together & crochet around, making sure you put 3 sc in each corner. When I get back to the last corner (where you started) don't sc 3 in the corner: Instead ch 10 & fasten to the 1st sc edging. I crochet 10 sc in the ch 10 loop you just made. Fasten off & just pull your threads to the inside of the pot holder.
These are really thick & last a long time. I get lots of compliments on them.
Hope you can understand this.
Happy Crocheting!!!
Cheryl D

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is the one I am looking for! Also If your hat on your picture is crocheted where can I find that pattern? I have been trying to find hats with ear flaps but of course they have to be easy! :)
Thanks,
Carolyn

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom