Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sport yarn that I got in a kit last Christmas. I'm using the teal color. I didn't notice it with the other colors of sport yarn.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was able to take out a couple of stitches but if I pull the yarn to unravel more stitches or a rnd then it breaks. I have 3 different pieces I started with the magic circle that I tried to unravel. Two of the pieces that broke on me were with the same size crochet hook. The other piece is a little bigger crochet hook. I still had to go up to a size F crochet hook to get the same size stitches or about the same size stitches I did with the sugar and cream yarn and a 2.55 mm crochet hook. The sport teal color yarn is the pants for the puppy. The pants for the puppy and the body for the puppy is all one piece. The pants for the puppy is with the teal yarn and the body for the puppy is with the sugar and cream yarn. The sport yarn is thinner than the sugar and cream yarn.

·
Registered
15,218 Posts
I had that happen with a roving-type yarn or what they call a single (no plies). I had worked with that same yarn brand many times and it never happened before. It was a Red Heart yarn. I contacted the company and sent them back the defective skein. They sent me two new skeins. The yarn was a very thin worsted and was more like a sport yarn. Can you contact the company or seller of the kit? That would be your best bet so you can get a replacement that will work for your project. If the yarn breaks with the slightest pulling or unraveling, then I'd suspect a defective skein.

·
Registered
10,834 Posts
It isn't the fact that it is a "sport" weight yarn, it is the brand or fiber of the yarn that is the problem. It could be a "cheap" brand, or a weak fiber, or even older yarn that may have been exposed to environmental conditions that weakened it.

·
Super Moderator
82,572 Posts
It isn't the fact that it is a "sport" weight yarn, it is the brand or fiber of the yarn that is the problem. It could be a "cheap" brand, or a weak fiber, or even older yarn that may have been exposed to environmental conditions that weakened it.
I had one of those! The “environmental conditions” seemed to have been marauding moth larvae, though I never saw any vacant casings. Just frequent spots where the yarn just fell apart at a touch. At a guess, it was 100% wool very fine fingering yarn designed for fine blouses or infant layettes … pre-WWII. I used it anyway, to knit large, loosely knit mitred squares, which were then unceremoniously tossed in with the laundry to felt. Ravelry: JessicaJean's Mitred Divided Squares - felted and not yet

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top Bottom