Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - I am new to this group.

I am thinking of starting to crochet but would like some feedback to find out how difficult it is to learn. I am left handed so I might have to learn different than others.

Will accept all comments.

Thank you.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Welcome! my mother taught my left handed brothers to knit by sitting across from them. They did with their left hand what she did with her right...like in a mirror. They were about 5 yrs old at the time.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi Catlover 1962,
I knit and crochet. They are both a lot of fun 😊
I just taught a left handed how to knit.
They say watching a right hander is like looking in a mirror if you're left handed. I taught my DIZl how to crochet and she is left handed.
They have so many books at your local craft store on learning how to. I'd suggest getting a learn to crochet book that has a beginner package of everything you need to start. Don't let it frustrate you because it should be fun. The hook that is my favorite is an h but you could start with a k which is bigger so you can see the chain stitches easier. I would suggest a dark hook for lighter yarn and a light hook for darker yarn 😊
Blessings, and Welcome to KP 🌹
Peggyd

·
Registered
11,991 Posts
I think you will learn it fast and easy. Just go for it, don't be frightened...

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm left handed also and my right handed mother try'd to teach me, that was fun. I watched what she did and try to mimic it to the best of my ability. Once I got the chaining and single crochet down the rest is easy to learn. There are left handed video's on YouTube. Mikeysmail, Crochet Geek are some of who do left handed video's. Though Mikey just started doing. Crochet Geek has more to watch.

·
Registered
29,832 Posts
Grapejelli said:
I think crochet is easier but then I learned that first. Maybe that has something to do with it.
I learned to knit 30+ years ago; I learned to crochet 16 months ago. Crochet is far easier IMHO. The only thing that held me back so long was my mental block :~).

·
Registered
161 Posts
CatLover1962 said:
I am left handed so I might have to learn different than others.
I am left handed and I DO crochet different from others. I hold the hook in my right hand, and do the stiches right handed with a little 'assist' from my left hand with the yarn when needed. So really, I crochet with both hands. When I first started crocheting, my work was really tight, so I used a larger hook than called for on the pattern. There were no videos when I learned (50+ years ago - I was 8, I think), and I was trying to watch a right-hander to learn. When I couldn't get the hook to pick up the yarn, I just helped it with my left hand. Looks really funny to watch, but it works for me. Most Left-handed people are used to adapting, so I don't think you would have a problem. Lots of videos have the 'left-handed' version. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Welcome from Missouri.

I have taught left handers to knit or crochet by sitting in front of a mirror and have them watch in the mirror instead of directly at me.

However, I know a lot of lefties on here who have learned in different ways and I am sure that they will be able to help you. Also, a lot of lefties have learned to do it right handed.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
558 Posts
you must, you must, you must learn how to crochet. I decided to a few months ago and got loads of support from KP's everywhere. I am doing ok but have to go slowly because of my arthritis. Having a bit of a bad time with my wrist at present so can't do anything but I am itching to get back to my crochet hooks. Go for it.

Hotpot

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom