Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I am a self-taught left-handed crocheter. I learned from a book that had pictures of both right and left handed crocheting. It may have been Susan Bates (don't know if this is still published). Personally, I prefer learning from books to learning from YouTube videos. Not all books show both right and left handed instructions, however, so I would recommend examining several books and finding one that actually shows pictures or drawings of left handed crocheting. Best of luck! She will treasure her skills for a lifetime :)

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Teach yourself first. It is not hard to do.

You could teach her to crochet right handed, many left handers knit and crochet right handed. They are usually quite ambidexterous and children catch on quickly.

Carol J.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I agree with Annjaneice. Sit facing her, and what she does will be a mirror image of what you're doing. Since I taught crochet for a while, I attempted to learn to crochet left-handed, and it just wouldn't take. I never felt so awkward or clumsy in my life. You don't say how old your daughter is, but I certainly would not try to force a child who is left handed to do something right handed. She'd just get totally frustrated and not want to do it at all.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Have fun with it...I taught my left handed mom to crochet when she turned 72. It was definitly an "experience" for us both and we laughed so hard sometimes we didn't get a whole lot accomplished which was great too. All the suggestions are great ways to try. You'll find a few that work for the both of you.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
bjiris said:
QUESTION: DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO ATTATCH
A CROCHET EDGING TO A LIGHTWEIGHT RECEIVING BLANKET? IT
DOESN'T SEEM RIGHT TO TRY TO JAM THE HOOK THROUGH THE FABRIC. THANKS-BJIRIS
That's the way to do it. You need to poke the hook through the fabric for your base row. The only other alternative would be to crochet a couple of rows of sc and then do the edging and stitch it to the blanket, but I don't know how you'd handle the corners.

·
Registered
291 Posts
It might be easier to make a small hole with an awl before "jamming" the hook through just to make sure the blanket isn't damaged in the process and it's a ton easier to push the hook through a small hole than to make a hole with one. I did that on a t-shirt I crocheted sleeves on and it worked great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom