Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all-

I am very new to knitting, I am attempting to make a headwrap for winter. Here is my problem - I cast on 13 stitches - first and last are pearl, the middle is knit stitch. I read that if you put a different stitch (pearl) on the beginning and end it won't curl, but mine is curling! what am I doing wrong.
Appreciate any help.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Maybe you should have at least 3 stitches each end using the alternate - work them as moss stitch :p k1, p1, k1 on the purl row, and p1, k1, p1 on the knit row
or just knit w2 stitches at beginning and end of every row

Grosvenor, Lindfield, Australia

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
than you so much, it makes sense to me that maybe I need more of border stitch to make the difference. I really want to be a success at my first project, accomplisment and all that. Have a beautiful day. cindi

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
virgogirl16 said:
Jill2

would that be : knit, pearl all the way across, and then when I turn the piece the opposite : pearl knit?[/quote

After turning the piece you will be knitting the purls and purling the knits...

Since you are starting with an odd stitch count (13) every row will be the same:

K p k p k p k p k p k p k

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
SanRay said:
I am having the same problem, but my pattern is for 5 knit rows then start the pattern - stocking stich 1 row purl 1 row knit. How do I stop the edge curling? this is for a ladies cardigan.
i get that trouble have tried every way i can think of but still curls

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
The tighter you knit the more your work will roll/curl. I have found that when knitting scarves, which don't need an exact fit light a sweater would, I buy one extra skein of yarn and use a needle 1 or 2 sizes larger than the pattern calls for. I have a tendency to knit stocking stitch tightly so moving up a size or 2 loosens my stitches and reduces curl.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hi Jill,
This is a great stitch. A friend showed me how to do this stitich last week. I think that I will be making a dish towel with this stitch.
Caryn

Jill2 said:
You could also do the entire head wrap in seed/moss stitch....all 13 stitches. It will be beautiful and will not roll.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I agree with Jill. This is an easy, wonderful stitch. I just learned this stitch last week.
Happy knitting,
Caryn

virgogirl16 said:
Hello all-

I am very new to knitting, I am attempting to make a headwrap for winter. Here is my problem - I cast on 13 stitches - first and last are pearl, the middle is knit stitch. I read that if you put a different stitch (pearl) on the beginning and end it won't curl, but mine is curling! what am I doing wrong.
Appreciate any help.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
I have been knitting for just over a year. I tried stockingette and putting a knit-purl type pattern in the center of a scarf and found that almost no matter what did, large or small needles, thick or thin yarn, it curls. You need a number of garter stitches on both sides and down the middle to keep it from rolling. Test with say 3 garter, 3 stockingette (knit-purl) and repeat across 2 or 3 times. I just experimented until I found something that looked decorative yet stayed flat. I don't do complicated, scarves, cowls, vests. Good luck.
Karen

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom