Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new. Trying to knit http://www.pickles.no/little-star-baby-blanket and have got to about the 2/3 way through and I find myself on the wrong side of the knitting. I can't figure out how to continue. The pattern is so straight forward, just a two row pattern which changes by only one stitch every other row and knit every other row. How could I have lost the pattern and ended up on the wrong side? I am doing it on round needles, but that wouldn't explain what happened. I am also a left handed knitter (knit with the wool in my left hand,) but the pattern looked quite ok until just now. Any ideas? It's for my daughter's first baby and I want it to look good, and I don't want to unpick it totally. :?: :shock:

·
Registered
790 Posts
You could try looking back a few rows to see if you did the same one twice?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Oh wow! That is a really cute blanket! I have to admit, I hadn't looked at the pattern before I replied the first time. I appologize for that. I really don't know how to check on this type of pattern, except to rip back 6 rows, and try again. Make sure to put a life line in when you get back to a starting place; just in case it happens again. They say to put one in every 10 rows.
Good luck!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rpuhrmann said:
Oh wow! That is a really cute blanket! I have to admit, I hadn't looked at the pattern before I replied the first time. I appologize for that. I really don't know how to check on this type of pattern, except to rip back 6 rows, and try again. Make sure to put a life line in when you get back to a starting place; just in case it happens again. They say to put one in every 10 rows.
Good luck!
What is a life line and why would I put one in every 10 rows? I am only using one colour, so I don't need to change colours. Maybe that is what is wrong, that the pattern really has 10 rows in it, not six like I thought.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rpuhrmann said:
Good luck!
What is a life line and why would I put one in every 10 rows? I am only using one colour, so I don't need to change colours. Maybe that is what is wrong, that the pattern really has 10 rows in it, not six like I thought.

·
Registered
790 Posts
A life line is a piece of yarn; different color than what you are using. You lay it in with the stitch you are knitting, but don't knit it in; just lay it with it. Then, if you find a mistake a row down or so, next to that life line, you can rip out up to the life line, and you won't lose any stitches doing it. (no runner stitches that get loose). lol You can google it. There are a few different types, or use the Search tool up at the top here. That's why they call it a Life Line. It saves your (mental) life! lol

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi Cy, I too am rather knew to serious knitting and I suggest before you rip, take a little time to look for the mistake. If you can 'see' it, it adds to your knowledge. Then rip. I've been working on a lace scarf FOREVER!! Its good to see what I did wrong if I can actually make it out. Keep on keepin' on. :)

·
Registered
22,470 Posts
I am not seeing how far back you made the error? It sounds like you worked one side as the face side and then lost the pattern so the other side became the face side.

One thought is what does the back side look like? Can you incorporate it in the design by switching the face side back?

If the error was only part way back and you decide to frog, then go have some herbal tea, take some Rescue Remedy, breathe deep and frog back to where the error began. Pick up stitches anyway you can and then tink back for 1 or 2 rows, stitch by stitch, to ensure all stitches are picked up and mounted properly. PIA process but you can learn a lot about how the stitch works and figure out your mistake. Then moving forward will come with a sigh of relief.

·
Registered
776 Posts
When you look at the pattern on the 6th row it says that you move over 2 stitches not the 1 stitch in row 4. perhaps that is where you are going wrong. I noticed that you said it is a two row pattern moved over by 1 stitch but in fact it is a 4 row pattern repeat moved over alternately by 1 stitch then 2 stitches

Row 4:
 K3 for edging, K1 to move the pattern, knit the star-stitch until 5 stitches remain, K5

Row 6:
K3 for edging, K2 to move the pattern, knit the star-stitch until 4 stitches remain, K4.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Look very carefully at your knitting. At some point, you have repeated one row twice - either the plain knit row or a pattern row. That is the only way you could end up turned around.

Then carefully pull out back to the row of the error, tink (un knit stitch by stitch) the last row so you can get the stitches back on the needle and start again. It will probably be easier to put the all knit row back on the needles.

Before you get started again, decide how you are going to keep track of the row you are working on - either using pencil and paper or a row counter on your needles or a clicker row counter. Then you will be less likely to repeat your mistake.

Install a lifeline every so often so you can rip out easier if necessary.

Good luck - it is a beautiful pattern

·
Registered
776 Posts
Johna said:
I read somewhere that some knitting needles have a hole in them so you can insert a life line, but would'nt you be knitting in the life line with something like that?
No because the lifeline is just pulled through the stitches as you knit. you don't knit with the lifeline. The hole is near the tip I think and as you get to the end of the row you will find the lifeline has been pulled through all the stitches you have knitted all you need to do then is pull the line out of the hole and make sure that it doesn't get pulled out of the knitting.

·
Registered
451 Posts
cydank said:
thanks for that, but I think I will just have to start again, sigh.
Cy, if you just noticed the mistake, I would just unknit one row at a time until the pattern looks correct. Chances are, you may have turned your work when you didn't mean to and started back on a row going the wrong way. I hope you don't have to take it all out and start over.

Bea

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
What a darling baby model. I'd like to make the dress she is wearing.

I appreciate all the work that went into the star pattern.

You are still a good person. This has happened to all of us.

Carolyn

·
Registered
387 Posts
I can't really help too much except to sympathise. It usually happens to me when I have forgotten to cross of a row on my row counting method thus repeating a row or missing a row altogether. Let us know how you get on though won't you. I too am a left handed knitter and have had this happen a few times. My only suggestion is to use the "life Line" idea in the future (I learned about it on this board). This time I would undo back to a point where you do know what the pattern was or to where the pattern made sense to you.

·
Registered
18,401 Posts
cydank said:
Hi, I'm new. Trying to knit http://www.pickles.no/little-star-baby-blanket and have got to about the 2/3 way through and I find myself on the wrong side of the knitting. I can't figure out how to continue. The pattern is so straight forward, just a two row pattern which changes by only one stitch every other row and knit every other row. How could I have lost the pattern and ended up on the wrong side? I am doing it on round needles, but that wouldn't explain what happened. I am also a left handed knitter (knit with the wool in my left hand,) but the pattern looked quite ok until just now. Any ideas? It's for my daughter's first baby and I want it to look good, and I don't want to unpick it totally. :?: :shock:
It sounds like what you did was put it down and started going the wrong way when you picked it up again. Hopefolly you haven't gone too far before noticing. You need to tale the work back to before the mistake. If it is not too far you can un-knit one stitch at a time, "tink" (tink is knit spelled backwards, because that is what you do to 'un-knit'). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
the knitpicks interchangables and addi click long tip lace needles have a spot in the cable to insert a lifeline. the addi clicks have a slit in the cable, the knitpicks have a hole in the cable where you put the tool in to tighten the cable to the needle. the life line comes comes along with the cable so that way you are left with waste yarn through the completed stitches. just make sure you leave yourself a note on what row you put the lifeline into. hope that's a help.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom