Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased my Daruma Yarn Twister and want to know if anyone out there has one.I might be doing something wrong but the yarn seems to untwist when I knit with it.Hope someone can advise me. I have 12 boxes of yarn that needs to be plied together so I can use it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have a book that states "to finish the yarn, you need to wash it. It sets the twist....wash without agitation....rinse two or three times....roll in a towel to gently squeeze out excess moisture....let skein dry on a towel or rack. "

So as I understand it, ply your yarn, skein it, wash it, rinse it, dry it, and then use it. The washing sets the ply. I do hope this helps. I have never done this - just have a book that describes the process. Productive Spindling by Amelia Garripoli

·
Registered
704 Posts
I think you need to check the direction of the twist that you are putting into the yarn when you ply it together. If you look at the original yarn, does the twist go in the direction of an "S" or a "Z"? Meaning, does the yarn angle go this way \ like an "S" or this way / like a "Z" ??? You ply yarns together in the OPPOSITE direction of the twist of the single strands... So if you're plying S on top of yarn that was spun S, it will unply as you use it.

See if this information helps.

Nancy

·
Registered
254 Posts
When I spin and then ply my wool on my spinning wheel I skein it, wash it and then hang it with a counter weight on the bottom. I've often used milk jugs filled with water. Once the yarn dries the plied-ness of it is all evened out. I would also pay attention to the "S" and "Z" direction info above.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I have never put weight on my plied wools while drying it has always been suggested not to because you stretch it out which isn't good for it plus your knitting will go wonky when it is washed and you lay it out to dry, but if it works for you then that's great. The only time I ever did any weighting was when my husband was doing some weaving and I did it on some singles I spun for him which works out well for the weft.

As far as using a twister goes, I have used one of those hair twisters for fringe on scarves and stuff and it worked out really well. Bought one at Toys R Us and the other I found at a thrift store, both under $10 each.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom