Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Yes, the dpn's and circulars are interchangeable. But if you are making a small item you will need to use a long circ with a flexible cord to use the magic loop method. If you are knitting something larger you'd need a smaller corded circ. Just depends on the circumference as to which length of cord you'll use. Did I just confuse you? I'm sorry. I hope someone else can articulate this better than I. Good luck

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
taznwinston said:
Yes, the dpn's and circulars are interchangeable. But if you are making a small item you will need to use a long circ with a flexible cord to use the magic loop method. If you are knitting something larger you'd need a smaller corded circ. Just depends on the circumference as to which length of cord you'll use. Did I just confuse you? I'm sorry. I hope someone else can articulate this better than I. Good luck
If you change to circular needles, too large a circumference will stretch the round out of shape and distort the work. The circular should be slightly shorter than the circumference of the project, otherwise you have to go to two longer circulars and use the magic loop method.

For an adult hat, a 16" needle is often recommended, with the finished head size being in the range of 20-22" as an example.

A new gauge swatch is important because we usually knit slightly differently on circulars than on straight.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I just despise DPNs... the yarn always getting hung up on the pokey ends sticking out... Having just attended Sts Midwest and wanting to knit knee sox, one vendor suggested using 16" circs for the 17" calf, 12" when I'm decreasing above the ankle then switching to 9" for the foot. She was working on #9s for a foot in a light, lacy, mohair-looking fiber and it looked so E Z!

So far I'm down to the 12" and about to separate for the heel flap; it's been a breeze! I just re-thought the pattern a little to accommodate the simple bit of where to place the purl bumps in the overall patterning (designing as I go..) and I love this method.
I'm working sock-wt now so it's slower going but these 3 needles will see many more socks in the future!

·
Registered
13,836 Posts
I prefer 24 inch (or longer) circulars for sock knitting. Have noticed that for either sock or hat project that having two matching circulars helps. The only reason I keep the dpns is for lace or holding the stitches for cables.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
chickkie said:
that's a lot of needles for one pair of socks. One longer circular using magic loop, or two circulars would work just as well and save a lot of money on buying needles
I agree! I make all my socks on a 40" circular Magic Loop. It's a breeze and I don't have to move my stitches to another needle. :thumbup:

·
Registered
373 Posts
I knit hats and "mitten/gloves" with dps. I just find that so easy. I have never had trouble with gaps or holes.
Just don't forget to repalce the marker on the the needle when I reach the end of the round. lol But even managed to count and regain my place. Everyone finds their own happy place with needles and knitting projects.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I don't dislike my double points (althought in wood they are the best) but gotta say I LOVE MY CIRCULARS...either two at a time or magic loop. I still have a problem with doing heels and turning two at a time. That drives me nuts.

(nuttier ... at any rate)

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
donmaur said:
yes they are sized exactly the same however you always wiil come to a point especially on hats where you must switch to dps
Not if you are knitting with the Magic Loop.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I have fallen in love with 4" DPN's for sock knitting. They took a bit of getting used too initially, but they can't be beat for fingering weight yarn for adult socks and dk or sport weight for baby booties.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom