Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Usually you will slip purl wise unless otherwise stated.

·
Registered
268 Posts
trish48 said:
when doing a sl, k1, psso, does it matter which way you "slip" or, are they the same? thx
I just took a class and was told that you always slip purl wise unless you are doing a decrease. If it is a decrease you slip knitwise.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have chatted with a knitting teacher and she teaches the sl direction (knitwise or purlwise) is dependant on the next st. to be worked. sounds like a good rule of thumb to me. :)

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
If you are knitting something, you would slip as if to knit. If you slipped as if to purl, the stitch that is on top and shows would have a twist in it. The directions should tell you which way, if in doubt and on the right side of your work, slip as if to knit.

Carol J.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I have always heard that unless the pattern gives a different instruction, you should slip purlwise. However, lately I seem to be seeing lots of YouTube videos and other instructional materials that just tell you to slip knitwise. I imagine there is some minimally noticeable difference but perhaps as long as you are consistent, it should be okay. One of these days I am going to do a test swatch and really check this out.

·
Premium Member
12,965 Posts
barbdpayne said:
I have always heard that unless the pattern gives a different instruction, you should slip purlwise. However, lately I seem to be seeing lots of YouTube videos and other instructional materials that just tell you to slip knitwise. I imagine there is some minimally noticeable difference but perhaps as long as you are consistent, it should be okay. One of these days I am going to do a test swatch and really check this out.
It's more like this: If the slipped stitch is being worked in the current row, (part of a decrease such as the ssk or sl1, k1, psso) then slip knitwise. If the stitch is simply being slipped and will not be worked in the current row (not knitted, purled or psso) then slip purlwise unless otherwise directed in the pattern.

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
Carol J. said:
If you are knitting something, you would slip as if to knit. If you slipped as if to purl, the stitch that is on top and shows would have a twist in it. The directions should tell you which way, if in doubt and on the right side of your work, slip as if to knit.
Carol J.
This is how I learned to do it. Make a swatch. You can do the operation BOTH ways and decide on the basis of that which way to do when.

·
Registered
24,416 Posts
TammyK said:
It's more like this: If the slipped stitch is being worked in the current row, (part of a decrease such as the ssk or sl1, k1, psso) then slip knitwise. If the stitch is simply being slipped and will not be worked in the current row (not knitted, purled or psso) then slip purlwise unless otherwise directed in the pattern.
I concur 100%. It actually does matter in whether a stitch is twisted and whether it leans left or right. Sometimes the difference is barely perceptible, so a knitter can do it any way she darned well chooses, but if you want to know the standard, I'm quite sure it's purlwise when only slipping, but knitwise for the decrease. But I've got my own way of doing an SSK, so there you go. Knitter's discretion!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom