Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying a set of Denise interchangeable needles and I was wondering how many of you have used them and what you thought of them? The website has wonderful reviews but I'd like to know what real knitters think about them.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
I have a set, there are some things about them I love and some I hate.
Good things:
1. I am grandma age and have some issues with hand pain if I knit a lot, with the Denise needles I can knit a long time, pain free. Do not understand why, it just is.
2. They are light weight, if you knit a lot with the large sizes they work great.
3. Travel is not problem with Denise, airline approved.
4. Tips are very secure, never had one come off like some of the screw ons.
5. You can buy crochet hook attachments that fit your cords, great for picking up stitches and lots of other things.

Bad Things:
1. The tips are only 4 inch, to me that is a little short, some don't mind, but I have large hands and wish they were longer.
2. The cords are somewhat fat, if you knit with size five needle the stitches do not move on the cord too easy, again with the larger needle sizes, you do not notice as much.
3. Magic loop, the cord again is not real flexible so not the best for magic loop, but can be done.
4. The points are not real sharp, for most plain knitting this is fine, if you try to do some fancy lacey things you might wish for sharper points.
5. The plastic does not slide the stitches as easy as the metal, for some yarns and some knitters this might be a good thing.

I am sure I have forgotten something, but whether they are right for you really depends on what type of items you knit and what yarn you use. I do not use mine often, but have never been sorry I got them.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I've had mine for several years and I still like them. They're guaranteed for life (I think), so if anything breaks, it should get replaced. For a while, they were the only knitting needles allowed on planes, but that has been relaxed. They are great for top down sweaters, and it's easy to change to a different size needle.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I've had my set for nearly 8 years. In the beginning, the cord would sometimes come loose. As I got more knitting experience, I began to check from time to time during a knitting session to be certain that the sttatchment was secure. I haven't had a join come apart in several years.

I knitted a cuff-to-cuff sweater a while back and used a variety of yarns while using the Denise needles. Began doing the Magic Loop without knowing it. The needles were never cumbersome or a problem to use this way.

Ohio Joy

·
Super Moderator
Name on Ravelry: JessicaJean, no hyphen, no space.
87,229 Posts
I bought a set in the 80s; I bought newer sets lately (under new management). I love them all, especially in winter when working on cold aluminum needles is just too much of a heat-sink and makes my hands stiff and cold. I especially love that they have come out with the crochet hooks that use the cables! Finally, I can make whatever length afghan/tunisian hook I please! AND - with two sets of hooks - I can make custom length double-ended hooks! I'm in heaven with my Denise sets.:)

OK, so they're not maybe not the best if you want to do magic loop/travelling loop or fine gauge lace work. They're fine for ordinary knitting.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
jadancey said:
Thanks everyone, I'm pretty sure these are the ones I want.
I just encountered my first problem with them. I was going to start knitting a sweater and my #5 needles and 9" cord are missing :roll: Guess I can't blame that one on the dog. I think I used them last for a Gypsycream bear, or maybe a baby hat.

They only work if you don't lose them. Just ordered the replacement parts. :-(

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm using mine for two projects right now: Mr Green Jeans (a sweater for myself) and a baby blanket for my 4 mo old. I've had three issues with the needles/cords during these projects:

1) several times while working on the cables on the body of the sweater the connectors came apart and left me with quite a mess. After about the third time I learned to put in a "lifeline" several rows below my current row.

2) Most recently, again, the connector came apart from my needle on the blanket; it's a honeycomb pattern so there were slipped stitches to place and quite tedious/frustrating for someone who's only been knitting for two years.

3) literally in the middle of my blanket the needle broke away from the black connector. I was just getting ready to slip my stitches and the needle went in the stitch...and the cord decided it didn't want to go along :-/

In all three instances I contacted my LYS owner and she got replacements, and I must say they arrived quickly & without having to jump thru any hoops (like providing a receipt). For the most part I love them, and the fact they're interchangeable with crochet hooks now makes them even more desirable!

·
Registered
10,964 Posts
jadancey said:
I am thinking of buying a set of Denise interchangeable needles and I was wondering how many of you have used them and what you thought of them? The website has wonderful reviews but I'd like to know what real knitters think about them.
How is this for a review: I own three full sets, purchased 2 companion sets (extra cables, joiners, end buttons), purchased the two larger sized needle tips, purchased the individual sets in a few popular sizes, purchased two each of the extra long cables, and purchased the Denise Crochet interchangeable set.

The only "complaint" I have: they only go down to size 5 US or 3.75 mm, so they don't really work well for making socks on magic loop.

But they are fantastic for making sweaters in the round, especially the Icelandic sweaters where you knit the entire yoke in the round. As well as for doing two sleeves at once, in the round....

I love my Denise sets :)

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
I have had mine since before the "new management." I now use them mostly for binding off. Here's why:

I don't care how much of a difference there is between the needle and the cable, when the stitches get to the needle they move like molasses. Not good for Magic Loop for that reason.

The joins are plastic. They do lock well, mostly. The problem is those join strip very easily. I have had the 19 inch cable, a cable extender, and several needle tips all strip. Thus anything heavy will make them come apart. They just no longer lock.

Being plastic, they do have seams. I have some that were a little rough. Had to take a smoothing emery to them.

The only ones with a "lifetime" guarantee are the old ones. The new management version do not. Therefore, the ones you would buy now do not carry that guarantee.

I have used the Denise, addi Turbo fixed, Boye interchangeable (the worst), and several different bamboo including Clover and Crystal Palace. I have also read the reviews on KnitPicks. If you unsure about KnitPicks, buy the sampler pack for $20. You can try out all 3 point types that way.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I purchased the small sampler set of kp's. So far I like them and intend to fill in the other sizes. They have stayed attached well, but if do use the tool for tightening from time to time. But I bought a starter set of "cubics". The points are nice and sharp, feel good but they were only 4". Like one of the earlier posts on this subject, they are almost to short for me. I do use them and can adjust, somewhat, but wish they were longer. The cables on all my kp's are interchangable and very flexible. I have a lot of clover (bamboo) as well. I like the bamboo dpn's. I still have some metal Susan Bates. I do not care for the
acrylic(?)needles that were in the sample set. I have used the one I have but would not want a whole set. I am a fairly new knitter so I too keep reading and looking at all the needles.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I bought my Denise interchangeable needle 20 yrs ago. I love them they are light.pointy ends and now that I have arthritic hands they are perfect. I just check from time to time to see the connects are tight and I have not have any problem. It came with a very handy container that keeps the cords and needles in place.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
jadancey said:
The website has wonderful reviews but I'd like to know what real knitters think about them.
I would suggest that you try to find them in a store or with somebody who owns them and would let you try them out. I agree with most of the others here. If you like plastic needles you'll probably like these. BUT I'm looking to get rid of mine after almost no usage because of the little locking fasteners. My aging, arthritic hands can hardly manipulate those things. So you can see it's really an individual preference, and you may love or hate them.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom