Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been knitting for some time but just 'ol plain jane stuff. So, I am going to knit a theme scarf and the directions say it is the ulitimate double knit scarf. It has a logo on each end and is knitted in two different colors. Does this mean to knit two scarves and sew together or double width and fold or what. Please help me out.

·
Registered
15,399 Posts
Not sure, Read the whole pattern. Then end of the story can give you an idea what to do..

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's the rub...the whole description of the scarf states it is 5 foot long, double knit with an included graph for the two logos for either end

·
Registered
939 Posts
Is it made using double knit yarn or are you double knitting with yarn...
there is a type of knitting that is called doubleknitt and it makes a double thickness that is identical on both sides just in reverse colours. Google "double knit" and you will see how it is done, it is fairly easy to do too.

Do you have a pattern or a picture ,that would help us more too on how to help you more.

·
Banned
23,386 Posts
do a search on utube for "double knitting".

Many videos to help you.

Double knitting is a technique used to create same pattern on both sides, using two different colors; but knitted all at the same time.

·
Registered
12,221 Posts
Galaxycraft's comment is correct. 'Double knitting is a technique. Essentially you are knitting a tube on straight needle.
The technique goes like this. Cast on with both colors. Row1: k1with white, place both yarns to the front, p1 with blue, place both yarns to the back, k1 with white. you continue llike this, row 2 is exactly the same but the color facing you is always knit and the color not facing you is always purled. It get's trickier when you do a pattern because then you reverse the colors. And to do it perfectly you should be careful not to twist the yarns, but it doesn't make a lot of difference in the final outcome if you accicdently twist the yarns sometimes. Double knitting is a challenge, but it is fun to do. Recently found a startrek hotpad doubleknit pattern that I am trying for fun. (I am a trekkie from way back) And i have done a number of scarves in double knit.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thank you, my son will thank you and I will be on the way with the directions above. I'm sure it is just as the description stated. This too is for a fiction fella...Dr Who... from another kind KP friend. I am knitting rather than the one she did in crochet. I just love being able to ask questions and have those "in the know" tell me what I want to know, and so quickly too. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Sometimes when I can't make heads nor tails out of a pattern, I just start knitting anyway. As I go step by step I then can see what they were talking about and all works out fine. This is not uncommon when I'm am trying new techniques.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom