Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a total knee replacement on May 31 of this year. Wasn't really prepared for all that is envolved. I injured my left thumb from using it to pull myself up. I can't knit, crochet or sew because of the pain I have when I use it. Was doing really good with my therapy, I felt so good that I overworked my knee and now I have to stop therapy and rest the knee. Doctor said to rest and stay off leg. Not to pick up anything heavier than a sandwich. I am so angry with myself for not going slower. I would go out to eat with my girl friend and then shopping for an hour. By then my knee would be so soar I couldn'stand on it any more. I'm my own worst enemy. I was going to have a tkr done on the other knee on August 16 but now doctor won't do it until my left knee is heeled. I'll be sitting, resting, like I'm told to and I'll start crying for no reason. I'll be talking to friends and I'll start crying. Got some antiexiety medication for when I get weepy. Don't like taking drugs, haven't had a crying spell since I got the medication. I think just knowing that it's there for me has helped me cope some. But, I still can't do any knitting. I have been surfing the web about TKR complications and it helps to know that I am not the only person who has overworked their knee and had to stop everything. I will heel, just will take longer now.
I don't expect anyone to read my long tail of woe, but it kind of helped me to talk about it. If you did read my tail of woe, I thank you for taking the time to read it.
So....if there is anyone out there who is going to a knee replacement done. .....go slow........don't over work your knee.........rest a lot so your body will heal...and good luck.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about all your trouble, but glad you posted! You've given me another reason not to have mine done!!! It seems to be about 50/50 for those who did OK and those that have continuing problems! Hope yours heals soon!

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
I am so sorry to hear of your situation. I understand your pain. I have just developed a trigger thumb with much pain, of course not the same as your thumb and knee pain combined, but also can't knit. That is truly a bummer as both of us use our knitting to keep ourselves in top condition. I shall pray that you will continue to be able to get relief from the discouragement you are currently feeling. I don't know if it is any comfort, but this type of weepiness is expected as normal after any large surgery, such as you have had. It takes a full 6 months for primary healing to take place and often a year to 18 months for the final healing to be in place. I know this as a nurse. So, be kind to yourself and hang it there. Take care dear knitting friend.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Well, you said it, sometimes we are our own worst enemy. I know many people who have had hip and knee replacements. You have to be patient now and do exactly what your doctor told you. It will be so worth it in the end !! So rest and try to think positive thoughts !! I wish you the best !

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
I am so sorry you are having such a terrible time after surgery. There are no "shoulds" here, don't beat up on yourself so badly, just take one day at a time, each day is a new start. You'll get through this. I had pretty intensive back surgery back in January and spent a lot of time sitting this winter and did a lot of knitting. In fact when I showed a friend some of my projects, I surprised myself as to how much I had actually done. But even sitting you can over-do. You have to get up once in a while, every hour my therapist says, so that you dont' over-do the sitting. I am happy to say that I have now been discharged from my orthopedic AND physical therapist because I did so well. This is not to be "in your face" at all, just sayin'. I am a compliant person, pretty much, didn't always do the exercises when I should have, but all in all, I got through the surgery (fusion) in no time at all, actually 5 months ahead of time by listening to the nurses, physical therapists and doctors. Can you tell I'm an old retired nurse? hahaha Be well, you'll get through this.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Anesthesia and pain can really bring one down. Has a doctor or physical therapist looked at your sore thumb/finger? That should heal quickly so at least you could enjoy your knitting/crocheting

Many doctors say it takes a year for complete recovery from total knee replacement although you generally are walking well and without pain in just a few weeks.

Can you rent or borrow a wheelchair for a few weeks to help you get around without overworking the knee? Some hospitals have equipment they loan out. After foot surgery I was on crutches for a couple of weeks and our wheelchair saved me - not very coordinated with crutches.

·
Registered
286 Posts
A set back can throw us for a loop. Just had a knee replacement Monday and feel really well. So sorry your thumb is bothering you and thus can't knit. Try some ice on it. I had a steroid injection in my thumb years ago never bothered me since. Glad you got some meds to help with your mood. Take care.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Please do not be hard on yourself, we often forget we are not super human!! Relax, ice your knee and your thumb. This too will pass, we are rooting for a quick recovery. Oh, and I cry at the drop of a hat, it is ok too, shows we are alive ????

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Sorry for your issues. Lots of good advice. From KPERS. Are there any games on computer that you may be interested in to help pass time? Can you call a friend and have them bring a sandwich over or make one at your house and have lunch together? Hope you will recover fast and be up and about.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I had a TKR 3 years ago & my most loyal, uplifting cheering section turned out to be right here on KP !!
Give yourself some time , follow the doctor's orders. Everyone is different, so the healing process will be different from one to the other also.Use ice paks to help reduce the swelling & alleviate some of the discomfort. A simple zip-lock bag wrapped in a dishtowel can be a great help.
Take a few deep breaths while sitting & thinking of something you really love, like a favorite garden spot, a beautiful sunset in your favorite place, let yourself relax.
And above all, be patient with yourself. It will all be better at its own pace.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Bunches of hugs for you! I can relate, during 2014 and 2015 I started with rotator cuff surgery and at the same time they reconstructed my thumb. We all think we are super-human - HA! I over did it, had to have both shoulder and thumb done over again, and all the recovery time I was in an arm brace-sling contraption that held my had and shoulder still. Couldn't knit so I taught myself tunesian crochet, that helped a lot! I think that when a person has surgery the anesthetic takes a long time to leave the body and it does weird things - lol! I am becoming a bionic woman - 2 hips, 1 knee and a shoulder replacement! Time will heal and it's good to get things off the chest and maybe even a good pity party cry ( only not for too long ). Again, bunches of hugs!

·
Registered
365 Posts
These are all great suggestions while recovering. I have had 2 experiences with this type of pain and both times I couldn't believe how long the recovery took! The first time was after stomach surgery in which I was given large amounts of anesthesia and pain killers. I gathered felt scraps and sewing supplies by my bed at home and made a little healing scrapbook which I still find very humorous. The 2nd time, I fell on a bit of ice and broke my shoulder in 3 places, laying myself up in a recliner for weeks. Not able to use my right arm, I was miserable and slept a great deal. Take the anti depressants, they will help! And I discovered the wonderful invention of books on CDs. They saved me. Good luck. You will get through this. If you have a partner or best friend, esp another woman, they can provide TLC, food and showering help.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I had a total knee replacement on my left knee August 4th. I had the right one done 7 years ago. I have a very numb left foot that tingles in places and feels as though it is encased in a block of ice. When I walk, it feels as though I am walking on a ball. They tell me it will go away, but from what I am finding on line, that is't always true. I am not a happy camper right now. I do know there are several major medical centers that are doing Minimally-invasive quadriceps-sparing total knee replacement where the incision is only 4" long and it is on the side. The quadriceps muscle isn't cut so healing is quick and you can be out playing golf in two weeks. My surgeon told me that option was only for a partial knee, but not true. I wish I had pursued it. I would be playing golf next week and I always wanted to learn (tee-hee). Do what you need to do to get better. It will happen.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
ICE, ICE, ICE! Sorry you are having problems after your knee replacement surgery. I had my left knee done in December 2008 and I had my right knee done in March 2015. It seemed to take my right knee longer to heal because I couldn't drive. I was just itching to get behind the wheel again. lol Keep icing it, relax (easier said than done) and don't be so hard on yourself. Don't be afraid to ask your family or friends for help! My only regret was waiting so long to get the second one done.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom